Bc Made W/o Merangue -Still Crusts?

Decorating By cakedaze Updated 23 Feb 2008 , 8:05pm by 4Gifts4Lisa

cakedaze Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:32am
post #1 of 8

I am new to decorating & know only what I learn in the Wilton class - learning a lot more from CC!

Anyway, I've only made the Wilton BC, but have seen many of you use bc recipes that call for butter & shortning but no merangue (sp?). Does BC w/o merangue still crust or does it get real soft?

I need to decorate a birthday cake tonight to be served at a party tomorrow at 3pm. Just didn't know if the butter bc would hold up that long unfridgerated??

Thanks for your advice.

7 replies
indydebi Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:35am
post #2 of 8

I didn't know what merinque powder was for until I came to this site a year ago. never used it. Here's a thread with the recipe I use ... you can also see what other CC'ers think of it. http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-491583-0.html

I use a crisco-only recipe and it sits on my counter for days and days ... lasts just fine.

cakedaze Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 1:46am
post #3 of 8

Thanks, Indydebi. I don't have any dream whip, but I will purchase some this weekend & give it a try!

leily Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 7:56am
post #4 of 8

I use the wilton recipe with 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening and have never used meringue powder. I did once and didn't notice a difference. I don't really understand what it is for as the BC still crust w/o it. Maybe it just takes a little longer but it does.

alanahodgson Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 8

meringue powder does not cause the crusting in buttercream. Crusting is caused by the fat to sugar ratio. More sugar/less fat=more crusting. I don't really know what the meringue powder is supposed to do. Perhaps it helps to make the icing fluffy (like egg whites)??

cakedaze Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 8

Alana -
meringue - egg whites - fluffy -- that does sound right, I think I was way off about meringue causing crusting. I did use a butter/crisco w/o meringue last night & it did turn out fine.
Thanks all!

alanahodgson Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 8

I think the meringue powder causing crusting is a common misconception. I'm not sure if that's what Wilton teacher tell their students or where the idea came from, but you were certainly NOT alone in your thinking. icon_smile.gif

4Gifts4Lisa Posted 23 Feb 2008 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 8

Does anyone have any feedback as to WHY we'd put meringue in the icing? I had only learned the Wilton way until I saw sugarshack's DVD...now I am wondering as to the purpose of the meringue at all???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%