Where Do You Buy Foam Core Boards?

Decorating By MissRobin Updated 28 Feb 2007 , 2:02am by mjs4492

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 26

I have been reading my new Collette Peters book, she uses foam core boards, Wondering where to buy them?

25 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 26

I get mine at AC Moore, when they are on sale for 88 cents each. They are 1/4 inch thick, so I need to double it for heavier cakes, but you cannot buy a cake drum for that price, even with a coupon!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 26

Hi,
I buy mine at Hobby Lobby. They have the 1/4" or 1/2" in the photo/picture frame department. I believe the prices are from $3.00-$5.00.

mykidsarekillingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidsarekillingme Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 26

I buy mine from any arts and crafts store. Even Staples and Office Max sell them. I find that the 3/16th works the best.

GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 26

I get mine at Michael's.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 30 Dec 2006 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 26

Good to know where to get them now!!!!

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 1:46am
post #7 of 26

I buy mine online. I forget where I found the last bargain, but I hunted until I found a very reasonable price. A case was about $35. That's 20 large sheets. I get several boards out of each sheet. I only use it for large or oddly-shaped cakes, so it lasts a long time. Shipping isn't much because it's so light. It's so nice having lots of the stuff on hand to make whatever I need.

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 2:44am
post #8 of 26

Definitely Hobby Lobby for me. They are much cheaper than the art stores and Michaels. Something to remember when using foam core boards though is that the edges are not that pretty so I glue ribbon on mine.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 2:53am
post #9 of 26

Alamo you're saying you glue ribbon around the edges? Does that mean you don't cover them w/ foil or contact paper or whatever first? Seems like because they are covered w/ paper they would absorb the grease.

I've been wanting to know about foamcore too, so thanks to MissRobin for asking!

AlamoSweets Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 3:15am
post #10 of 26

When I have used foam core I have either covered it with MMF (I do this a lot) or only cover the top with the clear contact paper. The added ribbon around the edges really adds a lot. I sometimes put things under the clear contact paper (see my monkey cake on my website). I love putting the multi-colored shreded paper under it for party cakes. Sometimes I just roughly tear up different colors of tissue paper and glue stick them to the board and then cover them with a sheet of the clear contact paper.

sjlarby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjlarby Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 3:25am
post #11 of 26

I use Hobby Lobby for sure. I am all about their 40% off coupon that runs every other week through the internet. I use that for everything. I print out several copies and always have them in my wallet.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 3:39am
post #12 of 26

I used to work in the framing department at Hobby Lobby -- you can go back there and ask if they have any foam core scraps... if they have any the size you need, you can get them for practically nothing! (well, all stores may operate differently...but it's worth a try!)

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 9:21pm
post #13 of 26

So I take it you buy theses in sheets, they arent already cut into circles?

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 10:14pm
post #14 of 26

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. So do you cut the with an exacto knife or what?? I guess their food safe. Do you use yours for each tier or just for base. I think Collette Peters said she used hers for each tier. I know she said she usually covers her base with royal icing.

AlamoSweets Posted 31 Dec 2006 , 10:44pm
post #15 of 26

I have only used them for the base. I would think the foam might make it hard to put a center dowel through. I might be wrong!

sugarlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlove Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:25am
post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoSweets

I have only used them for the base. I would think the foam might make it hard to put a center dowel through. I might be wrong!

Actually, the foam board makes it easier to put a center dowel through the center. Collette explained this at her class I took. She says the card board will more than likely warp. I found that to be true.

mjs4492 Posted 7 Jan 2007 , 3:32am
post #17 of 26

thanks for that tidbit sugarlove!!!!!

and MissRobin, I was way off on the price: they are $1.99-$2.99 icon_redface.gif I went Monday to Hobby Lobby and they were even cheaper than our local Walmart.

yyconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yyconfections Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 10:39pm
post #18 of 26

Do you put the foam board between each tiered of the cake?.

Do you cover the board or just put the cake on top of it.

Thank You

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 10:58pm
post #19 of 26

What is the best thing to use to cut the boards?

mjs4492 Posted 26 Feb 2007 , 11:35pm
post #20 of 26

I don't use the foam board between layers; just the regular card board type. I bet you could use the 1/4" between layers though.
I use an Xatco (sp?) knife, or one of those arts and craft knives (bought mine at Walmart).
You can cover foam board with anything from fondant to scrapbook paper to cake board foils.

aubrazacmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aubrazacmom Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 3:08am
post #21 of 26

I'm not sure if this is what you are all looking for but I did a search because I am almost out (I stocked up on an AC Moore sale) but here is a link and I think its the same kind of board. http://store.foamboardsource.com/foam-board--foam-board-with-memory--3-16--foam-board-with-memory.html

mjs4492 Posted 27 Feb 2007 , 5:54pm
post #22 of 26

that looks like the same to me. Shame they don't have the 1/2" size....

yyconfections Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 1:40am
post #23 of 26

They do have the half size. If you go to the main page and work your way back to the foam board page they will show you the different sizes and pick the 1/2 inch

mjs4492 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 1:47am
post #24 of 26

I did a re-take icon_lol.gif
8.5 x 11 is as big as the 1/2" boards come (unless I still haven't found the right page....) I like the idea that they have sets though.

yyconfections Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 1:56am
post #25 of 26

click on the foam board with memory, then 1/2 inch. The sizes go as big as 48"x96".

If that is the right foam board.

mjs4492 Posted 28 Feb 2007 , 2:02am
post #26 of 26

Thanks!! icon_redface.gif

But you know what, the 20 x 30 1/2" for 24 of them is $164 and at Hobby Lobby that would be $96! I wonder if the ones at Hobby Lobby are as sturdy? Think I'll check that out next time I buy some!
Still a good site for the smaller sizes and sets offered!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%