? About Airbrush

Decorating By jackie64 Updated 15 Jan 2007 , 1:58am by southernbelle

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 12:17am
post #1 of 12

I am going to buy an airbrush and I was wanting to know do you have to buy airbrush colors ? Or can you take americolor gel and make it up yourself .

11 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 1:12am
post #2 of 12

I've heard it's best to buy the airbrush colors.

carlie0819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlie0819 Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 12

I have one it works great but you can only use airbrush colors in it anything else even food coloring is too thick. Hope it helps

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 12

Anything other than airbrush color has tiny fibers in it that can clog your airbrush and damage it. Besides that fact, you won't get very good results with anything else anyhow, it would be splotchy and gum up on you.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 12

Airbrush colors is the best. Any thing else will gum up your expensive machine. And uncloging it will cost you more in the long run. You can get Americolors here that are airbrush worthy.

Melonie1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melonie1005 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 2:30am
post #6 of 12

I want and airbrush system too!! Can anyone tell me if 8-10 PSI is good? Or should I go with 0-20 PSI? I would appreciate any help, or brand name suggestions. Thanks

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 2:45am
post #7 of 12

hiya guys,
Yep the other folks are right about the "airbrush" colors, The pigments are ground finer than in regular coloring gel or otherwise. Plus the medium in which the colors are dispursed is more evaporative than water. It's a good idea to invest in a good set of colors for your airbrush. They aren't that expensive either and last quite a while. In a high use area like a professional bakery it takes about 2 weeks for us to go through a 9 oz. bottle of the royal blue (most popular color used). So for someone who doesn't do more than a few cakes a week it would be a great investment to get the colors used in the airbrushes. (sorry bout the syntax, trying to keep words from disappearing on me). As for the PSI question, 10 psi is good, but to have a compressor that you can adjust the pressure is good too. Anything over 15 will definitely blow holes in your frosting and you get an inordinate amount of overspray. I personally like the lower pressures where I can get better control and detail.
You can see what I mean in my horse cake and lady with violin cake, which was a combination of airbrushing and painting.

cigarHerb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cigarHerb Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 12

Best deal on an airbrush Paasche VSR90 at dixieart.com for $65 shipped. Great brush with extras. Compressor Kopykake Airmaster PLUS from bearair.com for $159. It is an upgrade from the Aitmaster and the same price. Usually runs $300 and up.

Edit: just checked and bearair went up to $162 on the compressor, but still a great deal.

Melonie1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melonie1005 Posted 29 Dec 2006 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks Chaptlps and CigarHerb! I ordered one and it will be here in 3 days!!!

cakedeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedeco Posted 10 Jan 2007 , 12:59am
post #10 of 12

Does that airbrush nozzle work with the krom-jet compressor. I have the compressor, but my nozzle broke in the middle of doing a cake.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 14 Jan 2007 , 5:03pm
post #11 of 12

hiya cakedeco,
The guns themselves are interchangeable with compressors. Some people even have two or three different guns to get different effects. You can also go to www.sugarcraft.com and get replacement parts for your gun too. Needles are especially very easy to mess up. It the tip is bent in any way shape or form it causes a big mess.

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 15 Jan 2007 , 1:58am
post #12 of 12

I have the AirMaster from Kopy Kake and I love it!!!
The airbrush colors from Kopy Kake are Koroma colors. I used the black on a crusted buttercream and it was an olive green. Had to really spray over to get black.

Started using the AmeriColor airbrush colors and they are much better and the black is a true black and doesn't spray on olive green

Congrats on the airbrush, you will wonder how you ever did without it icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%