Making Italian Creme Cake Wedding Cake

Decorating By ninas09 Updated 28 Dec 2006 , 2:45am by sweetcakes

ninas09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninas09 Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making an Italian Creme Cake for a wedding and have found a great recipe. However, I am using the 3 inch deep round pan 10in, 12in, and 14in and was wondering...should I collar the cake to reach 3inches then torte, or should I bake to separate layers? Also, the bride wants a "spackled" look to the cake, like when you texture a wall. Any idea how I can do this? Thanks!!!!!!!

3 replies
aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 4

If it were me, I would collar. But I don't generally use the 3" pans, so I would defer my opinion to those that do.

However, as for "spackling" your icing: do you recall the first few times you tried to smooth the sides of your cakes and you had some areas where the icing wasn't as thick, and you had some dips in it? It's easy to spackle your cake sides to look like that again. When you put your icing on, leave some areas purposely lighter in icing, and build up some small areas thicker. When you begin to smooth, don't try to purposely make it completely smooth. Leave some areas with shallow "dips" in them. And don't try to stir out your air bubbles in your icing. Those bubbles will help the look, too. You're looking for a coarser texture here.

Also, go to your local hardware store and get a narrow (maybe 1"-2") metal putty knife. Use that to apply your icing and to smooth it; you just might find that you'll come up with the look your Bride wants.

You can also use a paint brush to "brush" some of the icing on so that you continue to get that coarseness.

It's a bit of trial-and-error, I know, but I am sure that if you think about how a "spackled" look is put onto a wall, you can somehow copy it in icing.

Good luck with it, post photos for us to see, and Happy Baking!

Odessa

CakeL8T Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeL8T Posted 27 Dec 2006 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 4

As for the spackled look, if you are covering the cakes with fondant or MMF, once they are covered go back and sponge on BC icing to give it a textured look. This works great and is a professional spackled look.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 28 Dec 2006 , 2:45am
post #4 of 4

i would recommend doing 2 2" layer cakes that way you wont have to try and torte through the nuts and raisins or what ever pieces you have in your italian cream cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%