Chocolate Satin Ice

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 4 Nov 2007 , 7:49pm by playingwithsugar

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Nov 2007 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 2

I really like the chocolate Satin ice (not flavor, ew) because it seems extremely elastic and it does not dry out while you work it onto a cake. I had to do squares this weekend for a wedding and as hard as squares are, I was really glad I was using chocolate because it did not tear as easily as white, and it was easier to stretch into place and I could take as much time as I needed smoothing it onto the cake because it was slow in drying.

My question is, is there any such thing as vanilla fondant that feels/works the same? Seems like regular white fondant tears pretty easily and you have to smooth it relatively fast or it starts getting a dry surface and then becomes difficult to stretch or work with.

Any ideas? I guess the downside to the chocolate is it has a more non-stick surface, great for rolling out but not so great for attaching things...however with my royal dots it didn't matter.

1 reply
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 4 Nov 2007 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 2

Have you used SatinIce white fondant? I have only ever had a problem with it one time, and that was my fault. I should have let it rest for a minute before rolling it onto the pin and applying it to the cake.

I used Pettinice at the cake deco 2 class I just finished at ICE. That was extremely easy to work with, very stretchy, and held up well. I'm not crazy about the flavor, though. I am so used to the flavor of SatinIce that I do not care for the flavor of any of the others. I'm just really fussy, I guess.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%