Edible Images & Wafer Paper Vs Frosting Sheets

Decorating By sassycleo Updated 31 Oct 2007 , 6:45am by justme50

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 10

Quick question for you all....Seeings how I've already spent a TON of money on cake supplies to date and am only just starting to get orders. I am looking at ways to save money.

Has anyone used wafer papers instead of frosting sheets for their edible cake images? I have the printer getting the cartridges and ink but the frosting sheets are just ridiculously priced. I found wafer papers 100 count for 14.90+ shipping.

Anyone have experience, advice, thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Alicia

9 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 10

I've used wafer paper for decorations but never for the edible image itself. Not sure I'd want toeat it but that's just my opinion.

sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 2:58am
post #3 of 10

I wasn't sure about it either but I've seen it advertised as being able to be used for edible images for cakes.

I wonder if anyone else has experimented with it?

Thanks!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 3:11am
post #4 of 10

I use the wafer paper for playing around. It prints nicely on it. The wafer paper tends to want to curl up when it hits moisture. The frosting sheets lay nicely on a freshly iced cake.

You can make your money back and then some when using them. So, the 28.00 or so for 24 is a good investment and a little money for peace of mind if using for a customer's cake.

I just find wafer paper a little too iffy for an image like a photo that will be the focal point of a cake. It's great for use with images that will be adhere to a gumpaste plaque or something more crafty like.

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 3:35am
post #5 of 10

Wafer paper is edible. It is a little tougher to cut though so you need a sharp knife when slicing the cake.

I don't use it for full photo images, but I do use it for making plaques and for banners with greetings on them since I don't write on cakes with icing...can't do it! What I like it best for is for cakes like I'm doing tomorrow. It's going to be a witches spell book and I'm using 2 wafer sheets for pages with scripting on them.

It does tend to bubble quite easily, but I've had trouble with my icing sheets developing bubbles if I don't keep the cake chilled. But wafer bubbles much easier.

That all said, I love it when they order an edible image cake. They're easy and quick and I make a profit on every sheet while I'm not making a penny extra using the wafer for greetings and banners. I charge an additional $10 for a full edible image. So yes, they are much more expensive than wafer, but you're charging for them and making a profit using them!

If you have a Sam's near you, their price is a little cheaper than what you can find online and you save on not having to pay shipping.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 4:08am
post #6 of 10

Do you get your edible image paper from the Sam's bakery? And we're talking about the paper-backed wafer paper, right? I didn't think you could put regular rice paper through a printer without danger of it clogging in the printer. If you can I'd sure like to know--it is so way cheaper!

all4cake Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 4:18am
post #7 of 10

no, regular wafer paper...no backer sheet. I've never had one get clogged in my printers.

Some Sam's will sell you blank EI sheets. Some won't. Some that used to, have decided all on their own that they won't. I would like to hear it straight from their HO either they do or they don't. One should be able to walk into any Sam's and know that the policies are the same....it ain't so though.

I get mine online. Orders over 150.00 have no delivery charge.

justme50 Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 6:14am
post #8 of 10

The wafer paper I use has no paper backing. I never have issues with it getting through the printer, in fact it seems to be easier to handle in the printer than the icing sheets. The sheets I buy at Sams are frosting or icing sheets with the paper backing.

I know some have had problems getting Sams to sell them. I had one person on here email me because she was having problems getting them to sell her the sheets when I had just bought some. Seems as though after she provided them with the numbers off my set of sheets and proved they had actually sold them to me, they agreed to sell to her.

I have been told that they will only sell them if they have enough in stock for their own supply first. Sometimes going over head of the clerk to management will do the trick, but I agree, if one Sams sells them, they all should.

all4cake Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 6:26am
post #9 of 10

Up until this past June, I worked in the bakery of a Sam's. I know what's on the list and what's not. Not having a list in hand earns me "Yeah, maybe we did sell it before, but we don't no more."

justme50 Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 6:45am
post #10 of 10

Our Sams has a huge notebook in the bakery with all the items, along with the upc codes and prices listed there. I just look through the book and tell them what I want and never have had a problem.

I buy the icing sheets, boxes/lids and several types of icings there. We can also buy nearly anything they sell in the deli like their pizza dough....love their pizza dough! I'm thrilled I can get those items since we don't have a single decorating supply store in town other than Hobby Lobby and Michaels!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%