Holiday Tins??

Decorating By Erdica Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 1:29am by krazykat_14

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 14

I had this idea to send a tin of cookies and other goodies to family for the Holidays.

Question is....where to buy empty tins? And has anyone done this? Did the items arrive in one piece?

I as thinking of sending sugar cookies, chocolate dipped pretzel sticks and some cake truffles.

13 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 14

I would love to know this too!...

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:36pm
post #3 of 14

i've gotten empty tins at hobby lobby (they have tons of them for christmas) or michaels, wal-mart, just about anywhere. i get them the day after christmas for cheap. hobby lobby usually has the best ones IMHO.

i've sent things across the country. send your sturdier stuff. obviously the delicate stuff doesn't travel well. i usually add some wax paper for a buffer.

good luck!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 14

Sounds like a great idea, I buy empty tins from $ stores. They are getting their Xmas items in now.

tonedna Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 14

can you cook cakes directly on the tins.. I never tried that!

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 14

I've gotten tins at garage sales or Goodwill. Also, ask around to ppl you know. I have ppl here at work that buy the butter cookies and keep the tins and give them to me to use later.

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 14

i don't think i'd bake in them. kinda risky. i guess it would depend on what the tins are made of. not sure if i'd trust the paint on the outside anyway.

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 14

I have TONS of tins. I used to be obsessed with "collecting" them, now I give all my goodies away in them just to try to unload some of the silly things. One of my favorite places to get them was at Big Lots-they have larger ones than the dollar stores, sometimes several sizes of one pattern... I don't think you can bake in them, they're usually pretty thin and flimsy and I'm not so sure about the paint on the outside-might give off fumes or something. Even though my sister did bake a metal tray once on accident (it was stuck to a pizza pan) and nobody died...

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 14

Go to Walmart! They have a ton of them all decorated and great for Christmas! And sending them are fine! I do it every year!

tonedna Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykat_14

I have TONS of tins. I used to be obsessed with "collecting" them, now I give all my goodies away in them just to try to unload some of the silly things. One of my favorite places to get them was at Big Lots-they have larger ones than the dollar stores, sometimes several sizes of one pattern... I don't think you can bake in them, they're usually pretty thin and flimsy and I'm not so sure about the paint on the outside-might give off fumes or something. Even though my sister did bake a metal tray once on accident (it was stuck to a pizza pan) and nobody died...

Lol..thats funny!...I won try baking on them then! thumbs_up.gif

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks for all these great responses. I'll be on the "Tin Hunt" now that Holiday stuff is starting to come out!

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:49pm
post #12 of 14

I've gotten them at dollar stores, as well as bigger supermarkets.

Another idea is to stock up on the holiday-printed Glad and Ziploc plastic containers. They make ones esp. for cookies around the holidays and will likely be cheaper than buying tins.

gia2088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gia2088 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:11pm
post #13 of 14

I just bought some last night from Wal-Mart, they are so modern and cheap. They have all different designs and styles, and range in price from $2.00-$5.00 dollars. I'm going to buy 2 or 3 each time I go to shopping, so it doesn't seem like I'm shelling out such a big chunk right before the holidays. thumbs_up.gif

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 1:29am
post #14 of 14

what about ebay? I'm a huge ebay junkie (no pun intended) so I always try to find the best bargains on there...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%