My First Fondant Work

Decorating By Crystal74 Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 9:52am by Crystal74

Crystal74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal74 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 10:51am
post #1 of 10

Sorry to be a pest with these "firsts", but I had a lot of firsts this weekend and two birthday cakes to do. This is my first time working with fondant at all and thanks to the tutorial on CC, I think it turned out well.

Someone please tell me the best way to take pics of my cakes. They all come out with distorted colors. This one was chocolate with a pink bow.

Let me know what you think.

Crystal
LL

9 replies
ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 11:06am
post #2 of 10

You did a great job with the fondant on this cake. Many people suggest using natural lighting when taking pictures. You might also try a lighter background for this one--I think the color of the icing is very close to the color of the counter and that could be affecting this one.
Again, good job on the cake.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 10

Your bow is gorgeous...I love the stitching detail.

mbarbi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbarbi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 10

very nice...congrats!

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 10

I tried to fix your photo a bit in photoshop, hope you don't mind!
LL

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 10

when taking pictures of your cakes, try to always set them on a solid colored background, white or black, preferably, depending on the base color of your cake. if you make a light colored base, take pictures on a dark background. if a darker base, take pictures on a light background. try to use as much natural light as you can, and take the picture from the opposite side of where any shadows fall.

Crystal74 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the photo tips.

Karabear---I don't mind at all. Thanks. It looks a lot better, but now you can see all the flaws in my buttercream.....LOL!!!!

Crystal

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 10

very nice job. I love the detail you put on the bow!

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 5:03pm
post #9 of 10

Your bow is really great, and I love the stitching detail! Great job!

icon_lol.gif I also went and fixed your pic! I know someone else already did it now, but I'll post it anyway.

The one thing I notice about your picture is that it has a strong green hue. That is typically caused by flourescent lighting. I would either find a spot where you can use natural lighting, or check your camera for a flourescent light setting that will compensate for that green color in the lights.

HTH!

Anya
LL

Crystal74 Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 9:52am
post #10 of 10

Thank you guys so much.... Just another reason why I love all my friends here on CC icon_smile.gif

Crystal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%