Wire Used On Tops Of Cakes

Decorating By Stephianme Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 12:45pm by Denae

Stephianme Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:20am
post #1 of 9

I have seen several topsy/turvy or even stacked cakes that have wires coming out of the top that look like they "boing" Does anyone know what kind of wire that is being used? And where do I get it?

8 replies
jibbies Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:34am
post #2 of 9

I believe that most people use the jewelry wire that you can get at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. They also usually put a straw in the cake and then put the end of the wire in the straw so the weight of the wire and beads or whatever is on the wire will not pull out of the cake.


ssunshine564 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:35am
post #3 of 9

I saw on Duff's website the he uses 16 gage stainless steel wire, they said that you can find it at most hardware stores.

ssunshine564 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:38am
post #4 of 9

Great tip with the straws jibbies, I was wondering how you would put them into the cake.

smitti1 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:44am
post #5 of 9

I'm glad to know about using the straws. Some of the wires are curved into several curls with something attached to the end. How do you make several curls so smoothly without any sharp/oddball kinks? Any secret to that?

ssunshine564 Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:55am
post #6 of 9

Duff uses pliers to shape his wires. icon_wink.gif

Luffie Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:14am
post #7 of 9

I've done the wire thing on a couple of my cakes...just used regular wire I got from a craft store...I must try the straw tip, great idea!!!.

If I'm understanding what you mean by a curl, try wrapping it a few times around a dowel or a pen and then pull the dowel out...you get a "spring" like effect with no kinks in the wire.javascript:emoticon('icon_smile.gif')

jibbies Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:31pm
post #8 of 9

Glad to be able to help!
Heres a cake I did and made "fireworks", each cluster is put in a straw to hold it.


Denae Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:45pm
post #9 of 9

if you go to the jewelry/bead section at walmart or michael, they have a pack of different kinds of pliers. i think it's a 3pk. i use 16 gauge jewelry wire an then when i stick them in the cake, i insert them in coffee stirrers. hth!

Quote by @%username% on %date%