Why Is It All Going Wrong??

Decorating By Auryn Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 6:19pm by Auryn

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 13

This is absolutely ridiculous.
My birthday is on monday and Ive been working on my birthday cake.
Yesterday I made my first batch of toba's fondant and it came out great.

The cake was going to be a 8" round and a 6" round stacked- my first attempt at a stacked cake.

I generally make cakes from scratch and never have a problem.
Yesterday I made 3 cakes ( all from the same recipe I always use) and thye all came out crap- 1 hard as a brick literally (this one was actually supposed to be both cakes but the batter deflated and barely made the 6".
The other never rose more than half way normal and then turned hard.

Went out and bought more eggs and sugar etc last night.
Tried again this morning.
This morning my 2 other attempts came out slightly better but not great _ I only got half of the 8".

So I broke down and made an extended french vanilla from box mix and it seems ok- came out perfectly level and fluff (only made 1 8" round- Im gonna try to salvage the 6" from this morning)

I made my first batch of royal icing and it came out great.

Now im just so frustrated with everything that I dont even want to make the cake anymore.
I still got to make my mixed berry filling- which I don't think will go w/ the french vanilla cake now- way too sweet.
so now i gotta figure out what kind of filling to put in it.

im just so sick of it i dont want to do it anymore

oh and to top it off the luster dust I ordered wont get here on time for my cake icon_cry.gif

12 replies
AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 13

I'm so sorry!!!! Consider Murphy's Law, and then try to laugh it off!!! It will be a birthday you will never forget! icon_smile.gif
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, anyways!!!

Belovedeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Belovedeve Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 13

that sounds like my birthday cake for this year....the cake came out fine but when it came to decorating it...i don't want to even talk about it. But taking a break from it and coming back might help..i took a nap lol icon_smile.gif

sunnybono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnybono Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:51am
post #4 of 13

Sounds like your levening...baking powder or soda may be out of date and not working. I would replace it and see what happens. So sorry about your cake!

Auryn Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 13

thanks for the empathy
I took your advice last night
I cleaned everything up- I wrapped up the salvageable cakes. and walked away
I did laundry, cleaned up, ate dinner and went to bed

gonna start fresh today.
now i have to decide wether to keep these cakes or bake some fresh ones.

Im not sure I like the taste of the french vanilla- very sweet. maybe if I counter it w/ some chocolate ganache

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 13

Happy Birthday party.gif Auryn!

jibbies

cococakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cococakes Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:46pm
post #7 of 13

Don't let it get you down. Have a great Birthday and celebrate!! thumbs_up.gif

tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 13

Your cake will turn out fine.. I am sure of it..French Vanilla goes very well with the berries or even with the chocolate I dont think it is to sweet.. Altough I have to admit I am not a "Scratch" girl. but I think vanilla goes good with your origional filling great. Take a break and then have fun making your first stacked cake...don't forget to dowel!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 1:56pm
post #9 of 13

Sorry about all your trouble, sounds like one of my b-days icon_sad.gif
Maybe some new baking powder will help,and I think the mixed berry filling will be yummy. I've made french vanilla with a strawberry filling and it tasted like strawberry shortcake,yummy! Don't let it get to you , we all have caketastophes sometimes .Just remember to have a Happy Birthday!!! icon_smile.gif

nanahaley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanahaley Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 13

Sorry about all your troubles. Have a very Happy Birthday anyway!!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 2:53pm
post #11 of 13

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU party.gif HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU birthday.gif HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR AURYN party.gif HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU birthday.gifparty.gifbirthday.gif

Sorry you have to bake your own cake to start with. I'm not very good at it but I would bake you one in a heartbeat if I could. thumbs_up.gif

Hope everything ends up okay.

Diane[/center]

Auryn Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 13

Thank you for the advice everyone
and the birthday wishes icon_smile.gif
so far its a pretty great birthday

yourstruly- I took your advice and am turning it into a strawberry shortcake of sorts- the bottom layer that is- its gonna have 2 layers of berries and the middle layer is gonna be the creme patisserie I just made

tnuty- thanks for the dowling reminder.

the luster dust came in the mail at the office of course- so I will cover everything in fondant and apply the luster dust when my mother gets home with it.

I will keep you all updated
thanks for the support
I love you guys

Auryn Posted 30 Oct 2007 , 6:19pm
post #13 of 13

well first
thank you everyone for helping not go ballistic and all the great advice.

I ended up spreading crisco all over 2 sheets of wax paper and managed to roll out the fondant on that.
My pretty blue and red marble fondant was a very stiff not pliable or elastic solid dreary blue by the time i got it on the cake.

I didnt even try smoothing anything out.

I managed to stack the cakes and brush on some luster dust and stick them in the fridge to firm up for an our.

the bottom cake had bulged out and was seeping pastry cream by the time we cut it- but it had started doing that when I had first put the fillings in- bad edge judgment on my part- I put the fondant dam too close to the edge.

everyone loved the taste. They thought it was pretty
I thought it looked like crap but it tasted good.
Im not very happy w/ the way it looked so I doubt all post the pic

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for helping me out in my basket case moment

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%