Lowering My Price To Get A Sale

Decorating By Stephianme Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 8:00pm by Stephianme

Stephianme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephianme Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 15

Hi I got my first inquire for a wedding cake and I gave her a quote of $2.00 per serving (which is the going rate in my area)plus I charged her a delivery charge because she lives about 50 minutes from me. Well she told me that the bakery 8 blocks from her house gave her the same quote (I don't know if they charge a delivery or set up fee) for a cake. So do I lower my price just a little to get the cake? Or just let it go?
thanks for any advice
Kathy

14 replies
Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 15

I think it all depends on how much you want the business. I personally don't think it's worth lowering your prices because word of mouth will get around and you may become known as someone who can be "talked down" on your price quotes. We all work too hard and spend way to many hours to undersell ourselves and if you do it in the beginning, you can expect to be asked to do it again and again.

ddmckinney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddmckinney Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 15

I definitely wouldn't go lower than $2/ serving. if she doesn't want to pay, let it go......

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 15

I would not lower the price. If she can get the same price at a bakery close to her house... good for her.(said sarcastically)
The price you gave her is a fair price. If her budget is lower than that, go get a cake from Wal-mart.
The work that's put into any cake is worth more than that. You said you quoted her the going rate, so she is aware of this & is trying to get something for nothing.

snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 15

I agree. Don't lower your price. I can't imagine you making a profit if you lowered it. Who knows what the quality is of the "bakery down the street" It's just like clothes. You can find a shirt at the local discount clothing store or you can find a similar one at Nordstroms, you choose which one you purchase based on the quality that you would like to have. You are the quality option...

$2.00 per slice is a really good price, don't lower it just for one customer to get the sale.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 15

Hmm.....if there is a bakery 8 blocks from her house willing to do the cake for the same price, why is she still talking to you at all? icon_lol.gif Perhaps because she prefers your flavors and/or style. I think it's probably a bluff to get it for cheaper - or maybe the bakery is in fact NOT willing to do it for the same so she want you to throw in delivery or discount?

I would very politely say "I understand if you would rather get your cake from your local bakery. Let me know if you are still interested and thank you." Don't burn your bridges or humiliate her or she won't suck it up and order from you, yet do NOT let this woman browbeat you into a discount.

I don't know if this is standard practice among wedding cakes - maybe one of those dreaded articlles for "Brides on a budget" advise them to do this to make the decorator discount in order to get the sale? icon_rolleyes.gif

snowqueen93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowqueen93 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:24pm
post #7 of 15

I agree. Don't lower your price. I can't imagine you making a profit if you lowered it. Who knows what the quality is of the "bakery down the street" It's just like clothes. You can find a shirt at the local discount clothing store or you can find a similar one at Nordstroms, you choose which one you purchase based on the quality that you would like to have. You are the quality option...

$2.00 per slice is a really good price, don't lower it just for one customer to get the sale.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 15

Your price is your price! You certainly offer things that her local bakery doesn't. A customer who choses on price alone is often one you don't want!

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 15

Hmm.....if there is a bakery 8 blocks from her house willing to do the cake for the same price, why is she still talking to you at all? icon_lol.gif Perhaps because she prefers your flavors and/or style. I think it's probably a bluff to get it for cheaper - or maybe the bakery is in fact NOT willing to do it for the same so she want you to throw in delivery or discount?

I would very politely say "I understand if you would rather get your cake from your local bakery. Let me know if you are still interested and thank you." Don't burn your bridges or humiliate her or she won't suck it up and order from you, yet do NOT let this woman browbeat you into a discount.

I don't know if this is standard practice among wedding cakes - maybe one of those dreaded articlles for "Brides on a budget" advise them to do this to make the decorator discount in order to get the sale? icon_rolleyes.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:17pm
post #10 of 15

Your price is your price! You certainly offer things that her local bakery doesn't. A customer who choses on price alone is often one you don't want!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 15

I wonder how many brides to go bridal salons and really try to "negotiate" their dress price? I'm betting they look at the tag and decide then and there if they can afford it or not. I'm betting not many (if any at all) will go to store B and say "Store A is selling the same dress at the same price" and then stand there and wait for a response, which I would bet is something like "doesn't surprise me .... that's what that dress sells for."

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 15

CakeDiva you took the words right out of my mouth!

Don't lower your price! When I got my first quinceanera cake, the lady tried to tell me she could get my $350 cake for $180 at another bakery. I stuck firm on my price and she ordered from me. Hmmm, I wonder why?? icon_smile.gif

I know for a fact that she was bluffing because I had called the bakery earlier that day to compare prices and they wanted at least $400!

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:36pm
post #13 of 15

Kathy,
Don't sell yourself short!
I just moved out of the Boston area (North Shore, Beverly) and I sold my cakes for $3 a serving and you are a much better decorator! I set my price and did not negotiate. The people who wanted my services did not say a word about the price.
$2/slice is low for that area and you deserve at least that!
Good luck & Go Sox!!!!!!!!!!

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:37pm
post #14 of 15

I agree with everyone else...stick with your original price!

1) If she could get the cake she wanted for the same price closer to home, she wouldn't be talking to you!

2) You may not want to deal with her anyway..I can't stand people who want to haggle prices with me. This ain't a flea market I'm running here! I quote a price and that's that. I don't negotiate pricing, ever.

Stephianme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephianme Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 8:00pm
post #15 of 15

thanks everyone. I didn't think that I should lower it. And I'm guessing that they will charge her a set up fee so she may be back after talking to the bakery more. I was just excited to make my first wedding cake.
Kathy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%