Triple The Recipe For A 12X18?

Decorating By meldancer Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 6:26am by GI

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 13

I am making a scratch cake for the first time and not sure if I'm measuring right. Normally for a 12x18 cake, I can use 3 cake mixes.

Do I triple all the ingredients in a scratch cake too?

Help!! icon_cry.gif

12 replies
tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 13

For a 12x18 pan I use 2 recipe's of scratch cake.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 13

It all depends on how much batter your scracth cake makes. I have one scracth recipe that only makes about 5 cups, but I have another one that is between 7 and 8... so it makes a big difference on how much I make.

meldancer Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 13

But I'll be safe in tripling the recipe, and then fill the pan to where it should be, if there is left over then I'll make cake balls.

I'm just worried that as the cake size gets bigger I shouldn't triple the ingredient. Ex: the recipe calls for 2 c. of sugar. Do I put in 6 cups or do I only put in 5? Am I making sense at all?

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 13

Check the pan size to see how many cups of batter you need, then double or triple the recipe. If the recipe calls for 2 cups of sugar then you use 4 to double or 6 to triple.

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 13

I understand what you are asking about the sugar and such. I look at it this way, if you make three boxes of cake mix it has three times all of the same ingredients of a single cake mix, so I wouldn't think you would need to cut down on anything.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:36pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by meldancer

Ex: the recipe calls for 2 c. of sugar. Do I put in 6 cups or do I only put in 5? Am I making sense at all?

No, either you aren't really making sense, or I don't understand the question. If you are trying to triple the recipe, you absolutely need to triple all the ingredients. I wouldn't cut back on the sugar, or whichever certain ingredients. (I know you were just using sugar as an example) But, in other words, 2 c. per batch, you would need to use a total of 6 c. If you didn't, the cake would be a flop. Good luck to you.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 13

If you have a large batch of cake batter, watch your mixing very carefully. A larger volume of batter will make a difference in your mixer. I have done that before.

HTH icon_smile.gif

meldancer Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 13

ok I just finished baking the cake and it didn't turn out. It burnt on the edges and even though the toothpick came out clean, when I flipped it over, chunks stuck to the bottom of the pan.

To top it all off, what baked correctly tastes like crap.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 13

Sounds like your heat may have been too high, is that possible? As for the tasting like crap part, I can only assume that this recipe normally tastes good, righ? Are you sure that you carefully measured and did your math correctly? Having one ingredient off can really affect the outcome and taste.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 13

12 x 18 I use the wasc recipe and that is like a double mix with extenders icon_smile.gif

meldancer Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 13

I don't know what happened. I have never made carrot cake before. The batter tasted really good and I was really looking forward to trying it. It made enough batter to make a 12x18 plus enough left over for a 6 ".

Every time I attempt to make a cake from scratch, white, red velvet or carrot, all have failed. Frustrating.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 6:26am
post #13 of 13

With that large of a pan, did you use inverted nails and/or the baking strips? I would've used several inverted nails to help even out the baking. If you had chunks, I'll bet you didn't grease/flour pan well enough, probably wasn't mixed well enough, or the oven temp was too hot.

I've had this problem with carrot cake recipe until I tried the same melysa here on cc uses. Now I won't touch any other! It makes a ton of batter, so am not sure if it would be enough for that large of pan.

Is your large pan touching the sides of the oven? Have you got a reading of the oven temp to make sure it is correct?

HTH! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%