Magnolia Blossom

Decorating By melanier5 Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 6:26am by KathysCC

melanier5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanier5 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 4:59am
post #1 of 5

I'm from Ms. and I need to know how to make a magnolia blossom for a birthday cake.Any tips??

4 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 5:22am
post #2 of 5

What are you planning on making it out of?

melanier5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanier5 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:16am
post #3 of 5

buttercream

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 4:22am
post #4 of 5

Hmmmm.. can't say I have ever tried that. Not sure if you will be able to make it stand up (if it is to be bigger than say a couple inches... it is a rather delicate flower and BC would never pipe that way (and stay). You might be able to make a small one though with a petal tip like a 104. You could easily do a BC transfer of a picture of a magnolia though. I say experiment with your rose tips.. maybe even the 127 would work with a stiff BC if you made it thick at the base.. but you might lose the delicate-ness of the flower.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 6:26am
post #5 of 5

Boy, that is a good question that I was just pondering myself this week. There is a bakery here where I live that always puts huge 4 to 6 inch wide magnolias on their cakes. And I know a lady who knows how to make them in buttercream and offered to show me. I need to ask her and learn how.

I did a search in the galleries and forums and found mostly gumpaste directions and pictures. Funny, there aren't any buttercream. I think you need a really big rose tip, the biggest they make, a good picture of a real magnolia and practice.

Good luck, I hope someone here can help. Being from MS myself, I'd love to learn to do this. It's our state flower icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%