Can I Use Candy Clay To Cover A Cake?

Decorating By pamconn Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 7:06am by Tomoore

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:09pm
post #1 of 12

I thought I had read that I could cover a cake with candy clay instead of fondant, has anyone done this? If so how many bags of melts would I need for an 8 inch and a 6 inch cake? Thanks in advance for the help.

I tried the search button-but I'm no Jan....

11 replies
Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 12

what is candy clay?? never heard of it

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 12

You said "melts", so I'm not sure if you mean candy clay or candy melts (like melting chocolate.

Candy clay has something like a tootsie roll consistency, so I imagine that you could use it to cover a cake- rolling it out like fondant. However, it is not cheap, and IMHO, it tastes rather disturbing! Terrifyingly sweet.

Melts could be used in much the same way as ganache- melt it, put your cake on a cooling rack over a larger bowl, and pour the melted candy over the top. Whack the rack up and down gently a few times to smooth it out and get the bubbles out. Cool, and give it another coat. Repeat if you want. Then, put it on your board.

HTH

Kavingate Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:58pm
post #4 of 12

Right- forgot to tell you where to get them. Melts are available at Walmart and craft stores, like Michael's, etc. You can also get different brands at a cake supply store if you're lucky enough to have one near you!

One source for candy clay (I'm sure there are many others!) is Laura Darnall at www.etfun.org and her email is cinnamon [email protected]

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 12

not sure why you would buy candy clay as it is so easy to make and tastes wonderful.

You can use the wafers or the stuff in the grocery store that says for almond bark it is the same stuff confectionary coating... though some of the cheap brands are not as good.

It is not as hard as tootsie rolls

Yes you can cover a cake with it... I tried BUT is stretches more than fondant so was harder to do and you would not want to use it in the summer

I did a wedding cake with candy clay swags it worked wonderful but it was a winter wedding.

covering small cakes with candy clay does work well though except the heat from your hand can cause it to soften.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 12

I recently did my son's birthday cake in candy clay. My husband thought it was great because he LOVES candy clay and doesn't like fondant. I didn't cover it all in one piece but here it is: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1149927

Kavingate Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 12

Y'all must have a different candy clay formula than what I've tasted!!! Could you share the recipe? Thanks!!

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks for the help. My DH doesn't like fondant and I thought that I might try the chocolate. Maybe just for the small 6 inch cake and if it isn't working I can just hide the evidence in my stomach! BTW, the candy clay I was talking about is the stuff that people say that they use to make roses and such.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:06am
post #9 of 12

I just made a batch of candy clay for the first time. I melted the candy clay and stirred in the corn syrup. It looked a bit like it started to seize. Is this normal? Just don't want to find out tomorrow that it's not a good a batch! icon_smile.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:18am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomoore

I just made a batch of candy clay for the first time. I melted the candy clay and stirred in the corn syrup. It looked a bit like it started to seize. Is this normal? Just don't want to find out tomorrow that it's not a good a batch! icon_smile.gif

Yes, that's normal. I was worried the first time I made it too.... icon_rolleyes.gif

I think you can just knead it all together after it sits overnight. Also, it will come together when the temp lowers. What I usually do is put my bowl inside another bowl full of cold water and keep stirring till it comes together.

Courtney

Tomoore Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 12:22am
post #11 of 12

Great. Thanks!

Tomoore Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 7:06am
post #12 of 12

I just used it to cover the sides of a cake. WOW. I love this stuff. I'm always the last to catch on to these things! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%