Glycerine

Decorating By FantasyLand Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 4:46am by Verina

FantasyLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FantasyLand Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 10

Does one get only one kind of glycerine and is it edible?

When I found glycerine at last - in a pharmacy (living in a non-English environment in Europe at the moment) the lady behind the counter did not want to sell it to me after I described to her what I want to do with it (making fondant), which by the way I'm completely new to, but wanna try Michelle's famous fondant ...

9 replies
VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:59am
post #2 of 10

I had asked about the glycerine last week and was told that yes you buy it at a pharmacy, and since its in the recipe i guess its safe to eat. i was told it helps with the elasticity of the fondant. Good Luck!

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:07am
post #3 of 10

Wilton sells glycerine, it's also used to help paste food colors and fondant if they have become a bit dry.

jibbies

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:27am
post #4 of 10

you can use vegetable oil instead of the glycerin in the fondant.

FantasyLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FantasyLand Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:54am
post #5 of 10

Thanx, thanx, THANX. Search for "glycerine" in the forum topics, saw something and then it was "gone" ... not only new to trying out fondant, but pasting messages as well. So thanx for the patience...

Will go to another pharmacy and will also try out the vegetable oil idea. THANX!!

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 9:02am
post #6 of 10

Glycerine is definately edible. It is a well known remedy for constipation in babies. You just dip the pacifier in the glycerine and let them suck it. It is sweet and oily and is a wonderful remedy. This is practiced in South Africa but I have baby books published in the UK that also refer to this remedy! I was also delightfully surprised to find it in some MMF recipes because I had the bottle handy in my little "baby medical box" and did not have to run to the shop to buy it.

HTH

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 10

Totally of topic but directed at verina. I was taught to but light cornsyrup in bottles for constipation. Like a couple of teaspoons and baby goes, i dont know maybe its cheaper than glycerine

Verina Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:32am
post #8 of 10

[/quote]vanna1487

Totally of topic but directed at verina. I was taught to but light cornsyrup in bottles for constipation. Like a couple of teaspoons and baby goes, i dont know maybe its cheaper than glycerine

Quote:
Quote:

vanna1487: You are right - we also just use a little sugar. The sugar irritates the bowls and "let nature run its course". Nowaday glycerine is the thing to go with (quite cheap in SA) I think because of its oilyness.

Verina Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:43am
post #9 of 10

vanna1487

Quote:
Quote:

I always get this wrong???? icon_redface.gif I meant:

vanna1487: You are right - we also just use a little sugar. The sugar irritates the bowls and "let nature run its course". Nowaday glycerine is the thing to go with (quite cheap in SA) I think because of its oilyness.

Verina Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:46am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Quote:

vanna1487

I always get this wrong (but now I just discovered the "Preview" button)???? icon_redface.gif I meant:

vanna1487: You are right - we also just use a little sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%