Need Help For Sweet 16

Decorating By Prelate Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 7:55pm by Prelate

Prelate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prelate Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 3

Greetings and Salutations!

I am new to this website, and forum, but NOT new to baking.

I was recently asked by some friends to do the cakes for their daughter's "Sweet 16". The party is November 3, and the colors she picked are Silver and Blue.

I have made a lot of cakes over the years, but my cakes tend to be very "european country". Not simple cakes, per se, but I tend to shy away from anything that requires a frosting kit, and have never worked with Fondant.

I'm not opposed to either, just inexperienced with both.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions. Here is the party info:

Date: Nov 13
Who: 80-100 people (teenage friends and family members)
Theme: Costume Party
Colors: Blue/Silver

I already have a few things I've suggested to the family: Cupcake Bouqets at each table (instead of sheet cakes), and doing a 3-4 tier "main" cake for the birthday girl. The main cake would be blue and decorated with edible silver, and 'topped' with a big Crown.

I would dearly love suggestions. I am not unskilled in the kitchen, but I won't be able to do the baking until the day of, so 'simple elegance' are my personal themes. I also want to make sure whatever I do, is something this young woman will carry fond memories of, the rest of her life.

Thanks in advance!

2 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 3

Hello and welcome! I'm originally from Chicago, so I understand the accent with which you type. (hahahaha)

First, I want to point out that you have the party taking place on November 3rd and November 13th. It's not that important to ME, but I do hope you have the right date!

If you have to do the baking on the day of, I don't think cupcake bouquets would be a good idea. They are a lot of work - especially for that number of people. Then, there's the packaging, transportation, etc..

Anything you can make in advance will make everything easier. What about a mask? You could make it out of gumpaste days ahead. You could paint it silver with blue accents and place it on a blue cake with silver accents. I like the crown idea, too.

Good luck!

Prelate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Prelate Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 3

correct, it is Saturday, November 3 icon_smile.gif

I will be doing the baking 'on site', the hall they have rented has a 'food service' sized kitchen, so we decided it would be easier to bake/prepare on site, as opposed to baking elsewhere and transporting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%