Crappy Cream Cheese!!!

Decorating By kpcrash Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 3:33pm by kpcrash

kpcrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpcrash Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:38am
post #1 of 9

Sorry - had to let it out. I use cream cheese icing frequently, always made from scratch, always the same ingredients, same mixer, same kitchen, etc. Know that I am also quite a geek and understand all kinds of stuff about temp, humidity, crystallization, etc.

TWICE I have recently purchased the 5lb brick o' cream cheese at Sam's Club (use it all the time) and no matter how much powdered sugar I add - THE ICING IS LIKE THICK SOUP. It will not form a peak and barely sticks to the cake. Any ideas?

8 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:41am
post #2 of 9

What about putting the bowl in the fridge to firm up a bit? My cream cheese icing is always hit-or-miss and such a PITA to work with in warm weather......I once had the shell border melt right off a cake in the car on the way to delivery - and it was only down the block!! Sadly it was a 100 degree day and even running the AC prior to getting in didn't stop it from melting.

Sorry about your crappy cream cheese troubles icon_razz.gif and I hope it works itself out!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 9

I'm loyal to Philly Cream cheese. i know people SAY generics are the same, but I don't think so in my experience.

MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 9

Cream cheese is one of the few things I'm a name-brand snob about. I have noticed a difference in taste and consistency. It doesn't matter on my morning toast, but it makes a difference in icing and cheesecakes.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaT

Cream cheese is one of the few things I'm a name-brand snob about. I have noticed a difference in taste and consistency. It doesn't matter on my morning toast, but it makes a difference in icing and cheesecakes.

Ditto
This is one of those things that it's better to pay the higher price and get Philly.

Jibbies

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaT

Completely agree.

CakeLadyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLadyM Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 9

Aren't those blocks at Sam's Club the Philadelphia brand anyway?? Ours are here...3 pound blocks of Philly.
icon_confused.gif

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:41pm
post #8 of 9

the ones i get at bjs are philly cream cheese (at least thats what mine said).

Off topic...i bought a block the first week fo september and didnt use it all is it still good (oct22). The date says december or something liek that but its open.

kpcrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpcrash Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:33pm
post #9 of 9

The blocks out here are "GV" brand. I get it merely for the fact that it's about 5 cents cheaper per pound that getting 8 oz "patties". I will go the Philly route for a while and see what happens. Thanks for all the comments.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%