Wedding Cake Was A "disaster" At Best!

Decorating By ANicole Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 4:22am by GI

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:48pm
post #31 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

i'm so sorry to hear what happened. i think we all have had that kind of experience happen to us. i personally would not have done the cake being that it was such short notice. i don't like an all butter icing. i've tried tons of icing recipes here on cc and other places and every time i end up going back to my own recipe that i came up with using an all shortening base. i prefer it to others because it's easy to work with and is pure white which works great with icing colors...and comes out smooth every time. i just add a pinch of salt to it to cut down the sweetness. every cake on my website and that i've posted here is made with an all crisco recipe that i came up with. i'm not knocking anyone's recipe, but i have gotten so many compliments on taste and smoothness over the past four years here at aviano that i don't think i will be changing anytime soon. i've gotten to where i don't even measure any of the ingredients...that's how long i've been using this recipe. every decorator has their favorite! keep experimenting...you will too1 icon_smile.gif

Diane-what's your recipe??

trombonekaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trombonekaren Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 9:30pm
post #32 of 34

I didn't get time to go through all the replies to your post, so maybe someone already suggested this, but Julie's Less Sweet Buttercream tastes fab and pipes like a dream. It does not leave that sugary thickness in your mouth after you eat it. It has a much cleaner taste that really allows the flavor of the cake to come out.

As for smoothing, I like to just put a piece of parchment over the crusted icing and smooth it with my hand. The big spakle things from the hardware store are also great and the wet spatula technique also works well. If it is humid or hot in your work area though, nothing will really work at all.

Can we see a pic of the cake??? icon_biggrin.gif

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:23am
post #33 of 34

I didn't take a pic, I was afraid of breaking the camera. Maybe my grandma ended up taking one. If she did, I'll post it - but it's going to be embarrassing!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:22am
post #34 of 34

Don't worry, we'll be kind to you! icon_biggrin.gifjudge.gificon_smile.gif

If you don't wish to put your picture in your Posted section, then just stick it in this thread.

Gosh, I hope you are feeling better by now! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%