Help! My House Is Falling Over!!

Decorating By GI Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 11:51pm by woodyfam

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 11

I have the Wilton house setting on a 10" round and it is leaving heavily!! Can someone help! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I ran 3 dowels up thru the bottom cake board, 10" cake, board the house is setting on, and up into the house. I have 2 dowels run up thru the 10" round and it is very stable. Its the house that's not stable.

I'm just about done with the decorating and can't move the house off of the cake!!! Any ideas quick please!!!

10 replies
woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 11

Is there anything you can place up against the house to kind of anchor it???

Like if it is a haunted house maybe a fake gravestone, house for sale maybe a sign or a tree. Just trying to think quick here.

I will keep thinking....icon_confused.gif

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 11

Do you have a cake board under the house? If not that is why it is unstable. Can you fashion some kind of brace on the outside in the back and decorate over it? Like glueing press and seal covered cake board to a dowel and inserting it down through the round cake board.

GI Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 11

I have a cake board under the house. I did this because I thought it would solve the falling over issue that I had before! icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif
I shimmed a piece of scrap cake around the front of it and pushed it back up again. The 10"is starting to bulge out. I used BC to fill.

What about a dowel up next to the house, covered to look a like a flag pole? Or would that fall over to?

edited to add: Its a spring-time house/yard, not Halloween theme. Thanks!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 11

It sounds like the doweling under the house is too short. That's why the 10" is bulging. I realize you can't take the house off now. Can you scrape the icing off the sides of the 10"? If you can scrape the icing off, then you can take your finger and scoop out some of the filling, making a sort of indent. That way, as the icing bulges out, it shouldn't make too much of a mess.

As for the house, if it were me, I'd hammer a dowel next to the house, through the base board, as you suggested, on each side. Maybe you could decorate them to look like ivy climbing up the side of the house. Or a tree or a bush. How thick is your base board? If it's not at least one inch thick, it may not be deep enough to hold your dowels tight.

In the future, may I suggest you do two house cakes back to back. I, too, have had the single house disaster and vowed never to make just one again.

Good luck!

GI Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:10pm
post #6 of 11

Next time I do a house...it will be back-to-back! icon_confused.gif That house is heavy! Or perhaps I'll stick it right in the middle of the base cake instead.

I've been busy trying to save it! I think I got the house to not lean quite so heavy by shoving a piece of scrap cake under the one side. Frosted it to look like bushes. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

OH CRAP! I just remembered what I did wrong. icon_redface.gif Shoot.

You're right. The dowels under the house board are too short because I forgot to put them in! I was so concerned about putting dowels all the way thru the base board/bottom cake/house board/house itself, forgot to put in little short dowels holding up the house cake itself! icon_eek.gif

Good thing I'm not in the design of construction! icon_confused.gif

DianeLM Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:31pm
post #7 of 11

Uh oh! LOL! I've done the same thing. I forgot to put the dowels under a 6-inch, which wouldn't have been so bad except there was a castle tower on top of the 6-inch! Yikes!

Do you have to travel with this cake? If so, chill the bejeebers out of it before you go.

GI Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 11

Yes, I have to drive it not too far, but I chilled it last night in the fridge (thank the Lord I purchased a brand new shiney triple-door from Sears! icon_biggrin.gif ).

I took it out this morning just to soften the icing a bit. It's BC. I leave in about 1 hr.

Should I stick it back in the fridge right now??!!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

DianeLM Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 11

Obviously I'm too late. Yes, the icing should have been rock hard for transport. Hope all went well!

GI Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 11

Not too late!! I had an angel slapping me upside the head with a KA and so I put that puppy back in the fridge!

Drove to the house like a Granny on Sunday and they LOVED it!! LOVED it!! icon_biggrin.gif =D

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:51pm
post #11 of 11

Great job! So glad it worked out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%