Is Torting A Must For Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By Nicky76 Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 1:09am by thecakestylist

Nicky76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicky76 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 12

I am working on a wedding cake to be delivered tomorrow. Just wanted to know if everyone usually torts all wedding cakes to have 4 layers of cake and 3 of filling? What's the norm? Thanks

11 replies
Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 12

I think the norm differs from region to region. Around here (rural Oklahoma) we usually just have 2 scrumptious layers with whatever filling the bride orders--sometimes it's just BC between the layers. I have never torted, but think it looks great and does give the cake more height.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:19pm
post #3 of 12

There is no norm - it's whatever you are comfortable with. I think the cake is tastier and makes a more beautiful presentation when it is torted. However, it does take more filling and more time.

Nicky76 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 12

Thank you for your responses. I'll just go with what I feel. Thanks again.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 12

I'd never even HEARD of torting until I landed on CC. Never saw a 4-layer cake at a wedding.

I think it's beautiful and tasteful, but yes, more work, more raw-material-cost.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 12

I've started torting a lot of my cakes. It gives a little more height and I love how it looks when cut. It's a little more trouble to do but I don't use as much filling as I have always used with two layers. When torting I use a thinner layer of filling, which is usually bc. Personally I think it makes my cakes prettier and tastier. However I'm not doing the volume that many here are doing.

cavegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cavegirl Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:09am
post #7 of 12

I think it might be regionally popular. In my region you rarely ever see it at a wedding, but it might catch on. Groom's cakes used to be like that, but they're getting more popular out here. Where it is popular, do you offer both? Do you charge more for it?

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:01am
post #8 of 12

I agree that it's a personal preference. I'm originally from Indiana and never had torted cake at a wedding until moving to Florida. I just purchased the Confetti Cakes book, and they commonly use 3 layers of cake and 2 layers of filling. I prefer 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling for the height and taste. Sometimes you don't get the full impact of a flavored/fruit filling with just one layer of filling.

crazycakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakes2007 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:06am
post #9 of 12

Funny, I thought four layers of cake with three layers of filling, at least 4" high was the norm for wedding cakes. I would encourage you to torte! It's more special and not that much work, really. <<<Cheryl

Nicky76 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:13am
post #10 of 12

Thanks again for all the replies. It really helps. icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:32pm
post #11 of 12

Where I'm at in NY, wedding cakes are torted. It looks pretty and somehow more "special" IMO. icon_smile.gif

thecakestylist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakestylist Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:09am
post #12 of 12

Layering is a personal choice. The traditional is two layer cake and one filling.

I love torting my cakes more than once (i.e., 3-4 layers) because it looks great when sliced and because you can experiment with different fillings and/or different layers of cake. However, even if you use one filling, when you have multiple layers, it makes the cake moister. If the filling is good, then yummier icon_smile.gif

Of course, I recommend you do whatever you are comfortable with. How many ingredients you want to use and what texture, height or look you want in your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%