Seaming Fondant On Large 3D Cake

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 12:30am by BakingGirl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 9

On the cake challenges I always see them putting fondant on in pieces. But how do they seam those? I can NEVER get my fondant to blend seams. Do they use royal icing to caulk or does their fondant just seam?

I got a large 3D cake order from a corporation which will require me to put fondant on in pieces. What will be the best way to hide the seams? My fondant needs to be as flawless as possible.

8 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 9

I'm not sure how it'll work on large pieces of fondant, but I've hidden cracks and small seams with fondant mixed with water - the consistency you would use to glue fondant pieces together. I put it in the seam and worked it in with a ball tool and smoothed. I'll bet royal would work also.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 9

I hope someone cn answer this for you because I'm curious about it as well.

Jibbies

JennieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennieB Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 9

I also would like to know this answer. I read on here some where you can put crisco on your fingers and rubbed over the seams. I have tried that but it does not completely merge them together.

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 9

I've heard some people say that they use royal icing tinted the same color as the fondant. I have never tried it though so can't vouch for it.

MFitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MFitz Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 9

Great question!

I have a very basic question about 3-D cake making:

I have been reading about "Wonder Pans"

What is it and where do I find them/

thanks

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:18am
post #7 of 9

I saw Duff repair a crack with RI, but frankly I wasn't impressed. Still looked like a crack to me.

I think wonder pans are those pans you get from Wilton that are like a woman with a big dress or the bear that is standing up (not flat) and I think they have a house also.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:29am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie73

I've heard some people say that they use royal icing tinted the same color as the fondant. I have never tried it though so can't vouch for it.

I've tried this but I've only tried on white and it did work but not great.

I am trying to figure out how the cake challenge people get massive 3D cakes completely and smoothly covered in fondant. I REALLY need to find out in a month or less before this cake comes! I have covered several 3D cakes but can never get it perfect, I usually have to figure out how to hide flaws. Well this cake has to be PERFECT.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:30am
post #9 of 9

Is there any way you can hide seams with decorations or between different colours? I like you cannot blend seams to make them invisible. If the seems are going to be out in the open as it were I think you'd be able to see them, unless you get really good at spackeling with RI.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%