Please Help, I Really Need To Do Good On This One

Decorating By vicmic Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 12:10pm by DianeLM

vicmic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicmic Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 8

I really need some help for a cake I am doing Saturday for my future SIL
The pic on the bottom left is the one I am using for an example but I am not sure how to get those points and not have them stretch when I put them on. Do I cut one individual pieces or one big one, which is what the cake looks like and /or do I cut the points after the fondant (one big piece) is on the cake? I so hope I am making this clear. Please, I welcome any advise.
Thanks
LL

7 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 8

First, here's how you apply fondant pieces without stretching... If your fondant is naturally soft, like black or red which contains A LOT of coloring, then mix a little tylose powder into your fondant. Let it rest for a few hours. This will make it less stretchy and less likely to tear. For both regular and tylose-added fondant, after you've cut your pieces, leave them on your work surface for a few minutes to firm up. Just five minutes makes a world of difference. They'll be much easier to handle. Don't let them sit too long, or they'll crack when you try to wrap them around the top edge of the cake.

For this particular cake, if you're worried about being able to make the one large cream-colored piece, ice the cake cream color and just apply orange triangles to it.

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 8

Ditto on Diane's answer...brilliant.

vicmic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicmic Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:13am
post #4 of 8

Thank you so much for the advice and your time to help me.

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 8

I just read something (can't remember who, but it was a professional decorator) and she said that she freezes her fondant cut out decorations for about 15 minutes before placing them on a cake.

The freezing firms up the fondant long enough to avoid stretching when you pick them up and to place them where you want them.

HTH

doreen1092 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreen1092 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 8

THOSE CAKES ARE BEAUTIFUL, WHERE DID YOU GET THE PHOTOS?

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:35am
post #7 of 8

okay, i'll add tylose to fondant just to make a quickie gumpaste. everything will dry rock hard. so, does that mean the whole cake will be hard outside or will the moist cake underneath keep it from hardening?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:10pm
post #8 of 8

You only need to add tylose to the fondant you'll be using for decorations. Unless the fondant you plan to cover the cake with is very soft and stretchy, you won't need to add tylose to that. If you DO add tylose to it, it will dry a little firmer on the outside than if you didn't add it, but the icing underneath will keep it soft, as you said. And you'll have no trouble cutting through it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%