And When You Turn 6, You Get A Wal-Mart Cake!!!

Decorating By Copacabanya Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 12:53am by Copacabanya

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:12pm
post #31 of 51

That cake is fabulous, Glad my kids are all grown up or my youngest son would be wanting a cake like that. As it is my 20yr old daughter told me after looking in an old wilton book that I'd better be doing a lot of practicing on string work for when she gets married I can put it on her cake.

Children love the things thier moms can do no matter what age they are.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:12pm
post #32 of 51

The cake is wonderful.

My kids do the same thing, especially my oldest (he's 9). Last year I made a Harry Potter cake for him, when his brother's birthday came around he insisted that his cake hadn't been half as cool as little brothers (everyone else thought that his cake was awesome). So for MONTHS he planned his pirate ship, I even had to have sea monster legs for it and he insisted on a treasure chest for school (can't have a sheet cake). I was even told that the ship wasn't to have candles unless I could make them look like they belonged so we ended up buying black candles and forming candy clay around them for cannons. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm also not supposed to BUY things like cookie dough or prebaked houses, that wouldn't be right you know. Nothing is as good as what's made at home no matter how much time it saves.

Now I have to try and find pictures of a steam shovel for my youngest, he'll be 5 in December and that's what he wants. He went to an old equipment show a couple months ago and wanted to stand and watch them all day.

I have learning channel junkies too or I did until I canceled the TV, my oldest LOVES anything on Egypt, Greeks, Romans, etc.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:25pm
post #33 of 51

I am stunned beyond belief that those are your first fondant figures icon_surprised.gif.

How did you get them to stay on the side of the cake?

You must have loved playing with playdoh as a child icon_wink.gif.

teenycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenycakes Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:24pm
post #34 of 51

Your cake is incredible!!! I absolutely love it! Your colors are so vivid and your work is soooo clean and perfect.

Props to you.

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:28am
post #35 of 51

Thank you guys so much for the compliments, you guys sure know how to make a girl feel good about a cake! icon_wink.gif

Heeeyyy missmeg, how did you know I was a play-doh addict as a child. Okay maybe as an adult too. icon_lol.gif

shadowgypsie - You mean he's not going to grow out of this?? There's no telling what this kid will be coming up with by the time he's 20! icon_wink.gif

mbelgard - I can't wait to see the steam shovel! And this is the first year my youngest has really cared what kind of cake he has. I am so looking forward to them trying to outdo each other's cakes in the coming years. icon_lol.gif

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:40am
post #36 of 51

That cake is CRAZY AWSOME!! I didn't read through the whole thread, but your little guy had me cracking up!! Hopefully his "man" doesn't outgrow his little body too quickly...LOL

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:45am
post #37 of 51

Your figures were amazing! I would never guess it was your first time!

chrissy410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissy410 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:55am
post #38 of 51

You are truly talented!! Wonderful job!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:15pm
post #39 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabanya

And this is the first year my youngest has really cared what kind of cake he has. I am so looking forward to them trying to outdo each other's cakes in the coming years. icon_lol.gif

You shouldn't be, they plan for 8-10 months in my house and the plans get more elaborate as time goes on. It all started with my youngest insisting on a 3d dump truck when he turned 3, until then I was strictly a shaped pan person. My oldest was all upset because he had chosen a Spiderman cake made with the pan and that wasn't as cool. So he started planning. My little one isn't competing yet, he just wants a cool cake, and for some he'd be perfectly happy with a shaped pan (I'm currently in trouble with him because my mom gave me a Cars cake pan and I haven't used it). I try to tell both that they should be happy with what they get since most children get a sheet cake and are perfectly happy with that, I can't even make a sheet cake for school. icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes my children are spoiled.

Copacabanya Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:28pm
post #40 of 51

mbelgard - I guess I should have said I am sooo NOT looking forward to it. lol Mine wanted this shark cake to take to school! icon_lol.gif Can you imagine me hauling that thing into his classroom? I talked him down to some really simple cupcakes for school by reminding him his sharks and divers might get broken or, even worse, EATEN at school! haha He wasn't having any part of that so he went for the cupcakes.

Thanks again for the compliments ya'll! mthiberge, you made me laugh, I'm always telling him he's getting too big for his britches! haha

Anya

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:40pm
post #41 of 51

All I can get out is a great big W O W!!!!!!!!!!!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:37pm
post #42 of 51

Wouldn't it be neat to get all these kids of cake decorator's into one room to let them all talk about cakes?

You should hear my kids talk about fondant and slightly critique the grocery store cakes as we pass by the casing. (I had no clue what fondant was at 3 yrs)

KathleenR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenR Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 6:46pm
post #43 of 51

Is that ALL you did!!?? Wow that is wonderful. Amazing job on the fondant figures! I hope that when I try for my first figures they are half that good!

missmeg Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:49pm
post #44 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabanya

Heeeyyy missmeg, how did you know I was a play-doh addict as a child. Okay maybe as an adult too. icon_lol.gif

In my limited experience with fondant, I've discovered that the mental block I've always had when it comes playing with playdoh had been lifted icon_lol.gif. Growing up, I could only make the most rudimentary snakes and hot dogs with playdoh. But since fooling around with fondant, I'm making roses, calla lillies, and a whole mess of other things when the kids and I play with playdoh.

They think it's a hooticon_biggrin.gif.

Copacabanya Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:10pm
post #45 of 51

pastryjen - I would love to hear our kids talk fondant together. lol People in my area don't know much about fondant so it's funny to see the look on their faces when he's telling them all about the things he makes with fondant and how his brother usually steals and eats them. icon_lol.gif

missmeg - I have to wonder if I have scarred my kid for life! Before when we played with play-doh he'd make your typical snakes and snowmen. Now everything he makes is for a certain cake he has dreamed up, and he has totally mastered the Duff style roses. haha I would love to be a mouse in the corner when they play with play-doh at school. His teacher must think he's a cake nerd! lol

dellswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellswife Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:22pm
post #46 of 51

What an AMAZING Cake!!!!

I hope my daughters cake will turn out half as good!
I haven't used fondant for sculpting yet but want to sculpt monkey's for her cake! You have given me inspiration icon_biggrin.gif

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:45pm
post #47 of 51

WOW!! Great cake!! thumbs_up.gif

I can hardly wait until my daughter gets old enough to be bossy about her birthday cake. icon_lol.gif

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:05pm
post #48 of 51

well, I think it is safe to say that my children can never see that cake. They'll want to move in with you!

on second thought.........

JenMom2Boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenMom2Boys Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:48pm
post #49 of 51

That cake is awesome!! I must agree though, that our family can tend to be the biggest "divas" or "divos" when it comes to cake details. We've really got them spoiled!

missmeg Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:45pm
post #50 of 51

You haven't scarred him -- opened his horizons is more like it icon_biggrin.gif. My kids are now 7 and 5, and I've been directed to make the following over the years: dragon cake, moon cake, Disney's Incredibles cake, Belle from Beauty & the Beast cake, unicorn caresoul cake...just to name a few. They really keep us on our toesicon_smile.gif.

Copacabanya Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:53am
post #51 of 51

dellswife - Good luck on your monkeys! I'm sure they'll be awesome! Can't wait to see pics. icon_biggrin.gif

woodthi32 - I'm not accepting new children at the moment but I might consider a trade! icon_lol.gif

missmeg - That's quite the list of requests! lol My youngest turns 3 Nov. 2nd and his first official request is dinosaurs. Fondant, of course, and he'll take nothing less! Something tells me his brother has been coaching him. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%