What Beaters For Ka Usage:

Decorating By susies1955 Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 8:24am by susies1955

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 9

I'm going to be using my Artisan 5 quart Kitchen Aid early birthday present tomorrow. I'm making my own cake of course. icon_smile.gif
What beater do you use for a boxed cake mix with extender and what beater for Buttercream? I think I would use the flat one for both but not totally sure.
Is using mix speed for 30 seconds and then Speed 2 for a minute and Speed 6 for a minute for the cake right and what for the icing?
I don't want to make everything into soup. I'm use to using a $10 portable from Walmart. icon_smile.gif
Anything else I need to know????????????
Thanks everyone,
Susie

8 replies
Coraellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coraellen Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 9

Use your flat beater for both. At least thats what I do and i've never had a problem. I use between 4 and 6 for my buttercream but I keep my eye on it. Not because I have to but it's an excuse for me to have my DH take care of the kiddo's while I zone out!

Your kitchen aid will mix faster than a hand mixer so watch out for that. I spent the extra money to get an additional bowl and beaters (flat and wisk not the dough hook) so I don't have to wash right away I can just change it out and wash when i'm done. Another tip is make a recipe your are extremly familiar with and you can figure out the times and settings in comparison to your old mixer.

And birthday.gif HAPPY early BIRTHDAY!! birthday.gif

Have fun with your new toy!

susies1955 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 9

Coraellen,
Thanks for your help. Ok, I'll use the flat beater for both.
I am already looking for a second bowl. I don't need the dough hook as I have a bread machine that I love for dough.
Thanks for the tips and for the early birthday wishes.
icon_smile.gif
Susie

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 9

I use the paddle for almost everything.

Bread hook for.. well bread, and I have started my MMF in there before but no longer do this.

Whip - egg whites or anything else that needs arreated.

susies1955 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 9

leily,
Thanks for telling me what you use. I'll be testing her out in the morning.
Susie

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 12:07am
post #6 of 9

I agree with all. The extra bowl is a must and I do utilize the dough hook for MMF.

D

Happy Birthday, I think you just got the best gift of all. I got my first KA as a birthday gift, just upgraded to a 325 this summer.

Baileygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baileygirl Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:01am
post #7 of 9

I use the whip for the cake mix and the flat beater for the icing. I put my liquid ingredients into the bowl first, start beating them and then add the cake mix. By doing this I don't have to stop & scrape down the sides of the bowl. I'm not sure what speeds I use, I never look at the numbers. I go by the way the mixer sounds.

susies1955 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 8:22am
post #8 of 9

aztomcat,
Hum, dough hook for MMF! I'll have to remember that as MMF may be in my future.
Thanks for the birthday wishes. I'll be using her this morning. icon_smile.gif
Have a nice day,
Susie

susies1955 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 8:24am
post #9 of 9

Baileygirl,
That is a neat way to do it. I'll have to give that a try and see if I like it.
Thanks,
Susie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%