???'s On Chocolate Covered Strawberries....

Decorating By saj_stuff Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 2:22am by DiannaSue

saj_stuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saj_stuff Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:20am
post #1 of 17

I have to do two cakes with choc. covered strawberries for Thursday and I have several questions....hoping y'all can help me out more than the 5 lines the search engine is providing right now. icon_sad.gif

I have purchased white chocolate chips and white almond bark for my white dipped ones and dark chocolate chips and chocolate almond bark. Which do you all prefer/recommend the chips or candy coating?

If chips, do you add criso or butter to it?

My main concern, where I pose the biggest question...do they HAVE to be refrigerated? I don't know the exact timing of the event, but the person is picking them up at 8:30 in the morning...and I'm assuming they won't be eating cakes that early. So is it possible for them to NOT be cold or will they get slimy being at room temp and placed on top of vanilla and chocolate buttercream cakes?

Help please! Thanks in advance!

16 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:30am
post #2 of 17

I'd definitely use the bark products. Chips are not the same formulation and are not made to be a coating. I'm sure others will say that they never have a problem using chips, but I personally don't like the result. Refrigerated is best, but you can't control what happens to your cake after it leaves your hands. If the customer picks it up early and doesn't serve till later, then whatever happens is on them. The only option would be to box the strawberries separately, ask the customer to keep them chilled and place them on the cake later themselvs.

saj_stuff Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 17

thank you so much for your reply Leahs!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 17

Beautiful cake in your avatar saj_stuff!!!

I have used both...chips (ghiradali SP), bakers and chips.....I love the bakers that you just microwave the container then I use a white chocolate to drizzle. But if I had to do a whole slew of strawberries the thing to do would be to do the barks because of the expense. Now as to the refrigeration my strawberries didn't get really bad and they set out for about 5 hours....chill them well before placing them on the cake that morning of them picking it up....I know more work BUT...since they will be chilled they won't go bad quickly icon_biggrin.gif

HTH's

Have a great day!!!

Christi

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 17

If you use the chips, i would suggest adding a little milk as the chocolate is melting...thats what we do and they turn out great. Otherwise i would use the bark. As for refridgeration, i would refridgerate them and then give them to the customer in a seperate container so they can add them on later...if you refridgerate the strawberries already on the cake and then give them the cake and THEY don't refridgerate it after that(like within an hour), the strawberries may begin to weep....and as i have found out from personal expirence, buttercream and strawberries adn the juices, don't mix well....the strawberry like eats away at the buttercream. so to avoid an mishap...let them add the strawberries on when they are going to serve the cake.

saj_stuff Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 17

thanks everyone! I did the almond bark and so far so good...however, I should have asked how to get the pretty lines on them. I just took a fork and kind of "artistically" ran the opposing color chocolate across them and they look HORRIBLE! Any tips for that one...for future reference, too late to fix these.

wgoat5 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:20am
post #7 of 17

Well if you don't mind the mess lol once I thin the chocolate that will be the drizzle I dip a butter knife in it and sling it on the strawberries (well not really sling but really fast swing it over the strawberries). icon_smile.gif

I'm glad it all worked out for you icon_smile.gif

Have a great night!

Christi

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:44am
post #8 of 17

Cut tiny hole in corner of zip lock bag. You can put a tip 2 in it, pour in your melted choc. voila, a drizzler.
Hope this helps,
Amy

wgoat5 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:43am
post #9 of 17

LOL Amy I've done that also and I don't know why I didn't think about that to post icon_sad.gif I guess cause its 4 am LOL Thank you icon_smile.gif

saj_stuff Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:33am
post #10 of 17

Thanks all for the tips and compliments. Here they are. I am really proud of the cakes...the strawberries have room for improvement...but with all of your help, they'll be better next time! Thanks to you all! Happy Baking!
LL

wgoat5 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:44am
post #11 of 17

They are BEAUTIFUL!!! Great job!!!

licia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
licia Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:40am
post #12 of 17

Your cakes with the strawberries, is beautiful.

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 5:39pm
post #13 of 17

The cakes came out WONDERFUL!

I also have problems getting my chocolate to a drizzle consistency. I like to use good chocolate and temper it...maybe I'm not tempering it correctly or should I not bother with that step? I want the surface to set up hard so I haven't tried adding cream or shortening to get that loose consistency needed for proper drizzling.

Leah, as our residence chef, do you have any hints on this? Bo Frieburg's book is great but doesn't really address this.

Thanks for any help icon_smile.gif

Shellie56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shellie56 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 11:20pm
post #14 of 17

A really great chocolate is Callebaut. And, if you want a shiny look to the finished product, you will need to temper the chocolate. Viking cooking school suggests you do not refrigerate chocolate covered strawberries as that will cause them to weep. HTH

http://www.worldwidechocolate.com/shop_callebaut.html

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:08am
post #15 of 17

I almost always use Callebaut and/or Valrhona. I think I have a problem with tempering correctly...it's shiny and everything looks fabulous when dipped into it, but I just can't get it to drizzle.

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:19am
post #16 of 17

Both cakes are beautiful and the strawberries looks great also. Nice job.

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 2:22am
post #17 of 17

Both cakes turned out beautiful and the strawberries looks great also. Great job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%