Fondant Stripped Ribbons

Decorating By yummy Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 5:37pm by Danielle111

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:38am
post #1 of 12

I want to make a striped fondant ribbon. What's the best way to do this and get even stripes? All suggestions wecomed!

11 replies
yummy Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:10pm
post #2 of 12

bump

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 12

I am not sure what you mean. you want to put fondant stripes up and down the side of the cake?

yummy Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 12

Hi Sugarshack! No, what I mean is different colors side by side then cut into strips for a ribbon.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 12

Oh duh on me! icon_razz.gif

well prob what I would do it put a thin fondant ribbon around the cake in a base color
and then cut strips and place them on top of that butting them side to side. might take a while.

my fear would be if I tried to make the ribbon off the cake, it would distort as I was tying to place it on the cake.

HTH?

Danielle111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle111 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 12

I agree with SugarShack - horizontal stripes are SO difficult to begin with, let alone making a ribbon off the cake and then putting it on. If you want to do it off the cake, you may want to lay it on a sheet of plastic like those you use for wrapping a cake in chocolate, and then wrapping it around the cake. But the easiest way (also most time-consuming) would be to do what SugarShack said.
In order to get all of the stripes even, you can use the fondant ribbon cutter from Wilton. Good luck! icon_smile.gif Can you post a picture once done?

yummy Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 12

I wanted the ribbon across the cake like a wrapped present. I wanted the ribbon to have the look of those striped multi colored ribbons.

Danielle111 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:36pm
post #8 of 12

Oh! (Duh icon_redface.gif ) Then you can probably do it either way - you can lay a fondant ribon in the base color, and then add your stripes (on the cake or off), or you could just make each stripe and lay it on the cake as you go, making sure they all fit very tightly next to each other. Good luck, and I hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 4:03pm
post #9 of 12

What if you put your colors in a rope side by side and then roll them out together? I would think then you have no seem lines, and they all would be the exact thickness across the board. I have done this with a FBCT once. I lined them all together at the same time, and then placed them around the side of the cake. Good luck.

Danielle111 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:35pm
post #10 of 12

You could roll them out together, but if you do, then they will not be perfectly even stripes. I've done this before for the base tier of a cake I made a long time ago, and it came out ok, just no where near even.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:46pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle111

You could roll them out together, but if you do, then they will not be perfectly even stripes. I've done this before for the base tier of a cake I made a long time ago, and it came out ok, just no where near even.

This is true. The best way to come close to even is to run each color through a pasta mahcine on the thickest setting. Cut each strip with a ribbon cutter and place side by side. Moisten between the strips and make a straight cut at each end. Then, run the whole thing through the pasta machine. It still won't be perfect, but it'll be pretty darn close.

Danielle111 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:37pm
post #12 of 12

Diane - you and I are on the same wavelength! icon_smile.gif This is exactly what I do when I need to achieve this effect, if only all of us had pasta machines - things would be so much easier!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%