Colormist Spray Disaster

Decorating By dreamcakes Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 6:12pm by RobzC8kz

dreamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakes Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:29am
post #1 of 13

Does anyone ever use the colormist sprays that may not have an airbrush machine, i use it the other day to try and create a rainbow , it was a disaster. the colors ran together and it made puddles of spray on my cake. are these a good idea to use.

dreamcakes

12 replies
ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:40am
post #2 of 13

I was going to buy some the other day from my supplier to do the same thing because I don't have an airbrush either. She told me not to buy it because of it running and making a mess, glad she was honest.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 9:48am
post #3 of 13

Last weekend I used the Colormist spray for the first time to color the field green on the football cake. It isn't as easy to use as an airbrush, but I found that putting on light layers and letting them dry between coats did the trick. Otherwise you end up with puddles. So glad I tried it out on a scrap piece of fondant, first.
Also, I had figured that I'd get this one cake out of it, I still have about half the can left. I was surprised.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 11:34am
post #4 of 13

I bought some color spray from Pastry chef and I used it on my 50th birthday BLACK cake...and let me tell ya....what a wonderful thing!!! Now they are different then the color mist....I have them also...the Black pastry chef spray got the bc BLACK...but I do agree nothing works like a airbrush...and do it in layers...I am impatient and had to really work on that lol.

HTH's

Have a great day
Christi

abslu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abslu Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 13

I used Wilton color mist (the black one) and it worked OK for me. I didn't need an even color. I liked it that you couldn't taste it. I used it on the Batman cake in my pics. It's great unless you need precise even color.

goof9j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goof9j Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 13

I use the Wilton Color Mist. It has worked for me, but I am very careful not to use too much in a small space. I test it on a piece of cardboard first just to get the feel for it. icon_rolleyes.gif

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 13

Not a fan of Wilton black at all, but that's b/c you can't get a line...just more of a gray overall color. But, if you're like me and don't use alot of airbrushing I like them. I personally like the ones from the grocery store better than Wilton. I've learned to make a templete though that covers the parts you don't want sprayed, otherwise it goes everywhere.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 13

I've used them in a pinch b/c I don't have an airbrush yet, and I really don't like them. As previous posters mentioned, you have to apply it in alot of light coats - like spraypainting. Even so, I find they tend to sputter and leave little blotches on your cake.

The other problem is the overspray - it gets EVERYWHERE!!!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:39pm
post #9 of 13

I have used them a couple of times in the past. For my Baby shower Frog cake, and for my Children's Day cake. They worked ok I guess, but I'm sure an airbrush would have been much better. You don't have much control with a spray can. I made a plaid design on my cake board with yellow and green spray. I had to use pieces of cardboard to stop overspray. I'd love to eventually get an airbrush, but I'm not sure how much I would actually use it since I only decorate as a hobby.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 13

Here is a cake I did with the spray cans.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1077963.html

Jibbies

bgallay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bgallay Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:03am
post #11 of 13

As others have mentioned, it's ok, but not great. I have found that they are good only if you need to add a little hue - not for details like a rainbow. if you get too close is causes puddles.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:21am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallay

As others have mentioned, it's ok, but not great. I have found that they are good only if you need to add a little hue - not for details like a rainbow. if you get too close is causes puddles.

I agree with that...I have used them before and they work nice. But, if you are going to use it for something that needs more control they are not good to use. Mostly use them in layers at a time to get a good color! Sorry you are having troubles.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:12pm
post #13 of 13

I've used them before I bought my airbrush and they are the reason I bought my airbrush!! For large areas, they work okay. The black is worthless...it comes a really light grey. I did find a use for the black though...it works well in darkening the black fondant if you have residual powered sugar on it. But that's pretty much it. The other colors work okay, but like I said....large areas only...one solid color...

Any detail work requires an airbrush.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%