Cake Mix Cookies???

Baking By candae Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 9:01pm by SweetTcakes

candae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candae Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 4:29am
post #1 of 20

Hello all,

Can anyone that makes cake mix cookies tell me how I can make them a little less cakey? I hope that makes sense? I want them to be more chewy and less cakey. Any suggestions?

Thanks

19 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 20

I made some last week, after they cooled on my rack, I put them into ziploc baggies. They are a little chewy but not yucky. HTH. icon_biggrin.gif

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 20

I am not sure of your recipe, but I have 2 different recipes. I like the one with vegetable oil better than the one with crisco. The crisco recipe is more cake like to me. Both are soft, but when I use vegetable oil, they are flatter and easier to use as a sandwich cookie.

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 20

Do these cake cookies taste like the lofthouse cookies? I found a recipe online that says to use french vanilla cake mix, eggs, and oil..I want to try it but don't want to if they aren't that great?? Anyone?

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 1:58pm
post #5 of 20

I make these ALL THE TIME!!! Here's my recipe:

1 box cake mix (any flavor)
1 egg
1 stick butter or margarine
2 tblsp. water

mix well, drop by tblsp onto cookie sheet, bake 350 till cracked on top.

I also add in M&M's, choc. chips, nuts, sprinkles. I have made these since I was a kid. The choc. ones are the best., coconut, toffee, whatever I have in the house.

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 20

I use the same recipe as gingersoave to make my snickerdoodles. I use a butter cake mix (DH) and then roll them in sugar/cinnamon. Very yummy!!

I've also made them using the chocolate mix and those are good as well. Haven't tried adding to them, but think I might try m&m's next...thanks for the idea icon_smile.gif

megamere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megamere Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 12:47pm
post #7 of 20

The BEST ever (in my oppinion!) are the cookies made from the Funfetti cake mix. They make a LOT of cookies too! Sometimes the recipe is right on the box, but if not, I just go to the company's website and search for it. SOOOOO good!

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Quote:

The BEST ever (in my oppinion!) are the cookies made from the Funfetti cake mix. They make a LOT of cookies too! Sometimes the recipe is right on the box, but if not, I just go to the company's website and search for it. SOOOOO good!

I will have to try those. My kids love funfetti cake so I'm sure those would be a huge hit!

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 1:54pm
post #9 of 20

stupid question but do you melt the butter or just use it softened? Thanks!

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

stupid question but do you melt the butter or just use it softened? Thanks!

I myself melt the butter. I have heard people doing it both ways.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 2:08pm
post #11 of 20

Thanks! I wasn't sure if it would matter either way.

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 6:16pm
post #12 of 20

I just have to say these are SO YUMMY! I just made some last night with french vanilla cake mix and I frosted them with just canned icing (didnt' feel like making any) and they were really good! Gonna have to try w/the confetti cake mix next time.

SweetTcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTcakes Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 10:57pm
post #13 of 20

Can you make rolled cookies with your recipe gingersoave? I love the idea of being able to do cookie cutter cookies, but they get sooo hard. Could a cake mix cookie be a replacement?

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 4:51am
post #14 of 20

I always make funfetti cookies! They are the best!

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 7:55pm
post #15 of 20

I use the recipe for Super Easy Rolled Sugar Cookies

1 Box Betty Crocker SuperMoist butter flavor cake mix
1/2 c. shortening
1/3 c. butter or margarine, softened
1 t. vanilla or 1/2 t. almond or 1/2 t. lemon extract
1 egg

Heat oven to 375. In large bowl, beat cake mix, shortening, butter, vanilla and egg with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on high speed 1 minute.

Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Roll each part 1/8" thick on lightly floured cloth-covered surface with cloth covered rolling pin. Cut with 2 1/2" cookie cutters into desired shapes; sprinkle with sugar. On ungreased cookie sheet, place 2" apart.

Bake 5-7 minutes or until light brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Frost cookies.

-These are SOOO good with the almond!

SweetTcakes Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:13pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykat_14

I use the recipe for Super Easy Rolled Sugar Cookies

1 Box Betty Crocker SuperMoist butter flavor cake mix
1/2 c. shortening
1/3 c. butter or margarine, softened
1 t. vanilla or 1/2 t. almond or 1/2 t. lemon extract
1 egg

Heat oven to 375. In large bowl, beat cake mix, shortening, butter, vanilla and egg with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on high speed 1 minute.

Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Roll each part 1/8" thick on lightly floured cloth-covered surface with cloth covered rolling pin. Cut with 2 1/2" cookie cutters into desired shapes; sprinkle with sugar. On ungreased cookie sheet, place 2" apart.

Bake 5-7 minutes or until light brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Frost cookies.

-These are SOOO good with the almond!

Yay! So it is possible! Thank you. I have been looking all over for a recipe like this. Thank you , Thank you! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:28pm
post #17 of 20

With cake mix, anything is possible...icon_lol.gif

MrsTCHJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsTCHJ Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:29pm
post #18 of 20

I make these using the recipes from Semi Homemade w/ Sandra Lee. They are very good!

Vanilla Dough:
1 (18.25-ounce) box white cake mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 egg, beaten to blend
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
Chocolate Dough:
1 (18.25-ounce) box devil's food cake mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 egg, beaten to blend
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted

Vanilla Dough preparation:
Beat cake mix, oil, melted butter, egg, and vanilla in large bowl until dough forms. Stir in walnuts.
Chocolate Dough preparation:
Beat cake mix, oil, melted butter, egg, and vanilla in large bowl until dough forms. Stir in walnuts.

Cookie preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Scoop 1 teaspoon of vanilla dough into ball. Scoop 1 teaspoon of chocolate dough into ball. Gently press dough balls together, then roll gently to form one ball. Place 20 balls on an ungreased baking sheet, spaced evenly apart. Bake for 10 minutes, or just until cookies begin to brown. Cool cookies on cookie sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to cooling racks and cool completely. Repeat with remaining chocolate and vanilla dough, forming about 6 dozen cookies total. Store in airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days, or freeze up to 3 months.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:37pm
post #19 of 20

i have never heard of this, I am just in awwee you guys are so awesome, I am going to have to try this

SweetTcakes Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:01pm
post #20 of 20

See, I knew there had to be recipes out there like this. CC is the place to find the people that have them. I love this place, now if I can only open up the galleries again these days..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%