Mmf - Using Marshmallows That Use Fish-Based Gelatin

Decorating By ahuvas Updated 14 Oct 2007 , 3:15pm by moshiachnow

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 7

Hi

Do you think it matters if the marshmallows that I use in MMF contain fish-based gelatin as opposed to meat-based gelatin. I know there is a difference between agar-agar based gelatin and animal based gelatin but what about different types of animals? Kosher variety from marshmallows all contain gelatin made from fish skin & bones (gross I know).

Thanks

Ahuva

6 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 7

EWWWWWW!!!! I never knew that!! Dang the things you learn online!!!
I can't really answer your question because I usually just grab the bags of minis n don't even look at the label for geletin info. So here's a little *boop* to keep ya on the main page.

thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 7

Where in the heck do I look for that!!!???!!! Are these "fishy"mallows just lurking in my regular marshmallow section? Ugh...how can I tell the difference? Boy, I guess the days of "a quick trip to the store" to pick something up is GONE with all the darn labels we have to inspect!! I'd love to learn more about this so, yep here is a "hey dont bump me off the page"!! icon_lol.gif

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 7

i was wondering ... what exactly is the question? icon_redface.gif

i mean, is it "is the texture different" ... or is it a "vegan" question ... or "whether or not it's kosher" ... sorry ... just trying to figure out what question you were wanting answered.

('cause it is pretty gross what we eat sometimes! icon_confused.gif )

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 7

Okay I just munched down a handful of mini marshmallows, thank you very much for putting that in my head! I've never heard of gelatin made from fish.
But hey, if they don't taste like fish is there even a problem? I guarantee the ones I buy don't...lol That bag of big ones I have just says gelatin. My dil is vegetarian, and I don't think she eats fish either.

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 13 Oct 2007 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 7

My question is if the animal that the gelatin is based on will affect the texture of the MMF?

Here is a quick lesson. When you eat jello or lots of different candy they use gelatin which is essentially made from boiling pork or beef bones or skin (really gross). However if you buy kosher marshmellows they dont use pork or beef, they use fish based gelatin. There is also a kosher brand of gelatin made from agar-agar a plant based gelatin however I do not think this is used in marshmellows, instead its used as a thickening agent in some products.

When I looked online about different gelatins I found out that agar-agar and meat/fish based gelatins do not act in the same way and u cannot easily substitute the two.

I am wondering if the same uis true for meat versus fish based gelatin. Do they act differently?It is unlikely if you are eating marshmellows or jello that you are using fish-based gelatin. It is a specialty product and most likely only vegetarian cake makers etc will know how to answer this question?

moshiachnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moshiachnow Posted 14 Oct 2007 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 7

I made MMF with Kosher marshmallows and it came out well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%