Dream Whip Frosting Need Help!!!!!

Baking By BittysMommy Updated 6 Aug 2005 , 2:07am by PolishMommy

BittysMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BittysMommy Posted 5 Aug 2005 , 1:25am
post #1 of 3

Well I tried the Dream Whip Frosting and it still tastes very Crisco like. Has anyone else tried this recipe? I picked it up from somewhere and thought it would be a good alternate to Buttercream Frosting. I am making my daughter's 1st birthday cake and wanted a lighter frosting.

Is there anything I can add to this batch to save it or just toss it? (I posted the recipe below)

Also can you share a good frosting recipe that is not too rich but I can still decorate with? I am pretty new to all this still so I haven't experimented w/ too many recipes.

TIA
Melanie

Dream Whip Icing

2lbs or 1 kg bag of confectioners sugar
1 pkg dream whip
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups crisco shortening
2 tsp clear vanilla flavouring
1 Tbsp clear corn syrup

Whip up till fluffy. No need for refrigeration but it is fine in the fridge as well. Tastes great, not so sweet and crusts well.

2 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PolishMommy Posted 6 Aug 2005 , 2:07am
post #3 of 3

As far as salvaging it, I don't think you can. I would just toss it or use it to practice piping with.

Here's the recipe I use for dream whip icing. It uses a bit less Crisco for the same amount of other ingredients of the recipe you tried. I'm not sure you will like it because it's still a Crisco based icing. I haven't tried it, but I don't see why you couldn't substitute some butter for part of the Crisco.

2 T Dream Whip powder
1/2 C Hot Water + 1-2 t.
1/2 t. salt
1.5 C shortening
2 t. Vanilla
1T flour
2 lb conf. sugar

Mix the first 3 ingredients, set aside to dissolve. Cream the Crisco and vanilla. Add in the dream whip mixture and mix until smooth. Slowly add in the flour and sugar and after its all incorporated mix it an additional 1-2 minutes at medium-low speed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%