Question On Buttercream Frosting...

Decorating By Falenn Updated 11 Oct 2007 , 2:16pm by JB0828

Falenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Falenn Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 5:52am
post #1 of 10

im sure i know the answer to this but....can buttercream frosting be made without using crisco?

thanks.

9 replies
lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:01am
post #2 of 10

I have never made it without shortening. I wonder if it would be soft? Not sure, sorry.

JB0828 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JB0828 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:03am
post #3 of 10

Yes it can. Use butter in place of Crisco, or a combination of both.

Falenn Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:05am
post #4 of 10

thnx. just that everytime i make it, my mom is always saying...did you use crisco/shortening? i guess just the thought of that makes her not want to even eat my frosting. lol just thought to ask.

Falenn Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:11am
post #5 of 10

JB0828.....

If i already use butter, do i just add more to replace the crisco?

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:22am
post #6 of 10

Until I heard about hi ratio shortening, I always made my buttercream with just butter. I never had any complaints, and many said they loved it. I never cared for it myself, though.

I guess if you don't want to make it with all butter you could always just use hi ratio shortening, so when she asks "Is this made with crisco?", you can truthfully say it is NOT! icon_biggrin.gif After all crisco is a brand name, not the name for all shortening.

Seriously, though. Just butter works fine. icon_smile.gif Instead of 1/2 cup of shortening and 1/2 cup of butter, I would use 1 cup of butter. The rest of the ingredients were the same. I guess it all depends on the recipe you're using. icon_smile.gif

Good luck! I hope this helps!

Holly

Falenn Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:32am
post #7 of 10

so if recipe calls for 2 sticks of butter, 1 cup of shortening. I'd do 2 sticks of butter, and 1 cup of butter?
thnx

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 6:46am
post #8 of 10

I've heard of hi-ratio shortening. Where can you buy it?

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 12:45pm
post #9 of 10

Falenn If your recipe calls for 2 sticks of butter and 1 cup of crisco and you want to use all butter, you will use 4 sticks of butter. 1 stick of butter is equal to 1/2 cup. Just a note.. your frosting will be different tasting that the 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco. It may need to be refrigerated to firm up, any may not crust as well. An all butter frosting is very rich tasting to me,.. very good.. but not what you may be used to.

JB0828 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JB0828 Posted 11 Oct 2007 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 10

Yes you would replace the portion that you use Crisco with butter. I prefer the taste better with butter, but I do like rich desserts. You may need slightly more sugar as butter has a higher water content than Crisco. It can take a little bit longer to crust up and doesn't hold up as well in heat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%