Thick Batter Vs Runny Batter

Decorating By andiesweet Updated 15 Apr 2017 , 8:57pm by daj22602

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 15

I made a chocolate cake over the weekend... the recipe i used was new to me. The batter was very runny, like soup and i was a little worried, as all of the batters I have used before were much thicker. My regular chocolate cake batter is very thick, I have to spread it in the pan.
Anyway, the thin battered cake was AWESOME. ( 'That Chcoclate Cake' from Scharffenberger and Steinberg: Essence of Chocolate cookbook)
The cake was very moist and tender. So my question is... does Runny batter make a better cake or did I just get lucky with this one? And which do you prefer to use, thick or thin?

ps I topped the cake with orange & dark chocolate ganache I whipped 2/3 of it and spread it over the cake and between layers, and left the other 1/3 runny and drizzled it over the top and ran down the sides. If you have never tried chocolate and orange, go for it... it's yummy.

14 replies
USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 15

i would like to know if there is an advantage of using runny batter over thick batter also....recently i made a peanut butter cake and the batter was thicker then i am used to....i was skeptical...but in the end it turned out wonderful! then a while back i made a chocolate cake that had very runny batter and maybe i did something wrong....but my cakes sunk in the middle and over flowed in the pans...it was just a disaster!....

JuneHawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuneHawk Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 15

I am just guessing here but I would assume that since runny batter has a higher percentage of liquid in the mix, it would be more moist. I have experienced this as well. I"m sure someone who is more familiar with the science of cake baking will be able to give a more accurate answer.

sugarlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlove Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 15

Thick cake batters results in a lighter fluffier cake and the thin soupy batter would be dense and heavy.

xRangii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xRangii Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 15

I find thick batter will result in dense, heavy cakes. Watery batter results in light and fluffy cakes - that's from my experience. I love watery batter because my cakes are more moist compared to a thick batter.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarlove 

Thick cake batters results in a lighter fluffier cake and the thin soupy batter would be dense and heavy.

That's my experience too. My chocolate cake batters are so runny you'd think they'd never bake up into a fudgy heavy cake, but I'm no food scientist so I don't know the how's and whys. And the thick batters, yep-light and fluffy!
dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 15

Yeah, I made Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Cake for my daughter, but with buttermilk and coffee instead of mild and water. It was extremely thin. Cake was good but did sink in the center even though it tested done.

Oh, and I agree, chocolate and orange are to die for!!!!

emymoore89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emymoore89 Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 15

would you share your recipe

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 2:47pm
post #9 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by emymoore89 

would you share your recipe

Oh, sorry! I haven't been on the computer in a while!

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=184

Here's the link to Hershey's cake. All I do is replace the cup of boiling water with 1 cup of very hot coffee and replace the milk with 1 cup buttermilk.

If you want to add the orange flavor, replace part of the vanilla with orange extract (maybe 1/2 tsp.).

Cthomas-bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cthomas-bakes Posted 3 Mar 2014 , 7:29pm
post #10 of 15

AI think it really depends on how you are using the cake. If you are stacking them the batter should be thicker so the cakes won't get squished. Just to decorate one single layer, sure why not make it fluffy! Also, it really depends on how you like your cake, but personally I like it fluffy. Happy baking!

Cthomas-bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cthomas-bakes Posted 3 Mar 2014 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 15

AI think it's the type/flavor of cake you want because in the recipes you use different amounts of sugar and flour etc.

alyajmldn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alyajmldn Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 4:17pm
post #12 of 15

thick batters are more "stiff"/"solid", which means their atoms are quite close and packed to each other. this is why thick-battered cakes are very dense. it can also cause the cake to dry quickly. whereas in a thin batter, it is in a liquidy state. the atoms are less packed and have no regular arrangement. they are "loose". hence, the outcome of a loose-battered cake is less dense, moist and best of all, fluffyyyy. we can now conclude that the thinner your batter, the higher chance of getting the best textural cake is  terminal.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 6:57pm
post #13 of 15

Quote by @sugarlove on 9 Oct 2007 , 8:03pm

Absolutely not! I have a chocolate cake recipe where the batter is runny like soup and it's the best cake of all. So light and moist! 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 6:58pm
post #14 of 15

But this thread is ancient. ..not sure if the Op still needs comments lol...

daj22602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daj22602 Posted 15 Apr 2017 , 8:57pm
post #15 of 15

I just returned to scratch cake making. The last cake I made was a thick batter. Did not like how "tuff" it was and had fun using the cupcakes as weapons at my son! I won the food fight with them things. All humor aside, the thick batter tasted great in the bowl, and retained it's flavor. But it was tough. When they dried, they were like bricks. Made food fighting more fun, hahahahaha.

Just put a thin batter in the over. Also, used homemade butter for the recipe, too. It's Magnolia Bakery's Vanilla Cupcake recipe. I will let you know how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%