Tobas Fondant Rocks!

Decorating By onegr8girl Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 3:06am by babynewyear

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 7:25pm
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenWith

jen9936-
That's exactly what I want to try the poured fondant on. Cupcakes. I baked cupcakes to make those very cute monsters and I figured I would do some in the poured fondant.

Guess I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Jen,
The babies (2yrs & 7 mos) gave me a break and took a nap at the same time today, so I decided to give this a try--IT WORKED!
I used a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water to soften the fondant and added a little boiling water at a time until I got the consistency that I wanted. I had a 6 in round in the freezer that I just cut into pieces and poured it on, but I think that the cupcakes would work much better, not having the cut edges to deal with. I colored it with a little pink coloring and it turned out quite opaque--not transparent at all! I have tried to attach a photo of my results, but my computer and my camera are apparently not speaking to each other right now for some reason!! icon_sad.gif

If you haven't, you really should check out http://www.cakejournal.com/2007/06/how-to-cover-cupcakes-with-poured.html . It is a great site by Louise, a member here. She has great tutorials on several topics, and she makes the most beautiful poured fondant cupcakes that she gives her instructions for.
Good luck and I hope you post photos of your birthday cupcakes for us to see!!!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:37pm
post #32 of 38

Had a few minutes in the kitchen so melted down a small amount of Toba's fondant to see if it would pour. It does. I had some scraps left over from a cake yesterday so cut a few bite sized cubes and as you can see the fondant poured nicely.

I melted in a glass measuring cup for 45 seconds, in a 30 minute and 15 minute process. Stirred well after the 30 second round.
This set up FAST, very fast. When I get another few minutes I will melt more down and try adding a bit of corn syrup to thin it down a bit and see if it will set up a bit more slowly. It set up so fast I barely got poured what you see in the picture. The good thing is it does pour! icon_smile.gif
LL

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 2:30am
post #33 of 38

Thanks for all this info & jen9936, that is a great link you posted, thank you.

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 3:27am
post #34 of 38

It is very humid here. I've found that by not using shortening, but rather using corn starch for stickiness keeps me from having so many problems. I seemed to have less problems with the marshmallow than the Toba fondant. Also, not refrigerating helps, as when you bring it out from the fridge it gets condensation on it.

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 8 Oct 2007 , 2:34pm
post #35 of 38

YEAH! Thanks Jen9936 and Teekakes for experimenting for me with the poured fondant. I did not get a chance to do that this weekend but now that I know it would work, I'm not going to throw out my fondant and I have ANOTHER excuse to make some cupcakes!

Jen9936-
I DID make my version of your cute monster cupcakes. They are in my photos. I did a girly version (pink and orange). So easy to do! Except my grass tips kept clogging no matter what I did with them... icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks everyone!

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 9 Oct 2007 , 12:47pm
post #36 of 38

Thanks Teekakes. I am excited about making the cake, too. I am planning on making this fondant today so it can rest for a day or two. Wish me luck! icon_wink.gif

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:40pm
post #37 of 38

I tried Tobas fondant yesterday and it turned out just a tiny bit sticky. Then I added more ps but it still sticks a little to what i roll it on. Then when I put it on the cakes it had tons of cracks ,did I do something wrong? It taste somewhat grainy too. I am comparing it to satin ice and mmf. Let me know if you have any tips for this. I will use it for poured fondant though if it dosent work, that sounds really good. Thanks, Cindy

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:06am
post #38 of 38

That is going to take some practice. I tried poured fondant out of Toba's recipe. Then I used Louise's dipping tutorial. I pulled the tops off of my cupcakes. icon_eek.gif Like I said its going to take some practice. Luckily the mistakes don't taste too bad. icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif Cindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%