Wilton Vanilla Smells Weird

Decorating By blmiller84 Updated 30 Sep 2007 , 3:03am by Danielle111

blmiller84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blmiller84 Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 9

Hi
I never buy Wilton's clear vanilla. I usually use McCormick's clear vanilla, but Wilton is all the cake decorating place near me had so I bought it. When I opened it, it doesn't smell like vanilla. It has this other not so pleasant odor. I'm assuming its bad, and I didn't use it. Anyone have this happen to them before? Or is that just how the Wilton vanilla smells (gross)?
The place is closed now so I can't go up there and ask them about the weird vanilla. If I need vanilla I'll have to drive out to Giant Eagle... meh.

8 replies
dueter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dueter Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 9

I don't know what you mean by weird but I just checked mine and it smells like vanilla with a little more alcohol smell. That might be the difference

blmiller84 Posted 29 Sep 2007 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 9

I smelled the alcohol smell to it, but no vanilla smell at all. It sort of reminds me of how a skunk smells icon_confused.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 12:55am
post #4 of 9

Everything made by Wilton smells weird. icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 1:10am
post #5 of 9

I use Watkins clear vanilla.. it's grrrrrrrreat!

1nanette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1nanette Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 1:14am
post #6 of 9

I know the "skunky smell". It isnt bad. If you pour some of it into a teaspoon the vanilla wont smell that way. I dont know if its the bottle or what but after youve initially opened it you shouldn't smell it again.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 1:30am
post #7 of 9

I don't know about a skunky smell, but I've noticed that Wilton Vanilla doesn't smell as good as the Magic Line. I avoid everything Wilton if possible.

blmiller84 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 2:44am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nanette

I know the "skunky smell". It isnt bad. If you pour some of it into a teaspoon the vanilla wont smell that way. I dont know if its the bottle or what but after youve initially opened it you shouldn't smell it again.

Okay, thanks. It's just so horrible of a smell compared to the vanilla smell I'm used to!
I'll have to see if it smells better tomorrow. I didn't even taste it to see how it was. I was afraid it would taste like it smelled icon_confused.gif

Danielle111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle111 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 3:03am
post #9 of 9

It's so weird that you posted this today of all days! I also just bought my first bottle of Wilton clear vanilla, and I agree - it smells like skunk breath after a long night of drinking. I'm using it on a dummy cake, so THANK GOD it wasn't for a customer. I'll never buy it again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%