What Is This Called And How Do I Do It?

Decorating By lrstone98 Updated 28 Sep 2007 , 1:33pm by lrstone98

lrstone98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrstone98 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 16

I have been trying to figure this out and need some help. What is it called when you frame out the top of the cake with a different color like that and how do you do it and make it look so neat and clean? I am assuming it's all BC but maybe it's airbrushing? I don't know... icon_confused.gif

BTW, this cake was done by cakesbyallison, so cute.
LL

15 replies
shanphil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanphil Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 16

That is the cutest cake. I have not idea on how the border was applied. I would also like to know.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 16

I did something similar on a tinkerbell cake. (I think it's in my photos.) Anyway, the sides were darker than the top, so I did the sides first and then the top. But I think next time I would to the top first and the the sides - that way I can ice the sides enough to cover the edge of the top icing. Did that make sense.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 16

I think, if I were going to do it, that I would try blocking off the white area on top with a firm straight edge of something the right length. Maybe a piece of plastic or my bench scraper. And then use a small angled spatula to put on the purple on each side but not ice all the way to the outer edge where the border will cover.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 6:06pm
post #5 of 16

Just my opinion here.. it looks to me like she may have iced it smooth in white (the base color) then added the top frame afterwards since the center of the frame is white also it makes more sense to do it this way...

To get clean crisp seams you could use wax paper or something around the edges kinda like you would when you're painting and you tape with that blue tape... icon_wink.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 16

I copied this cake after I got Allison's permission. She was very nice and helpful btw, and would probably answer you as soon as she saw a pm...that being said, I just iced white and then used a straight edge as mentioned, and iced the "frame" with my pink...mine's in my photos as well.

lrstone98 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks for all your replies...that helps alot. I tried the wax paper thing once and wasn't sure if I was doing it right. Maybe I will just contact cakesbyallison herself. I'm a little embarrassed, I did talk to her once and never even asked to use the photo! icon_redface.gif I was thinking as long as I gave her credit...guess I still have to work on web protocol.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 16

Couldn't you use an icing tip? The large one used to cover a cake?

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstone98

Thanks for all your replies...that helps alot. I tried the wax paper thing once and wasn't sure if I was doing it right. Maybe I will just contact cakesbyallison herself. I'm a little embarrassed, I did talk to her once and never even asked to use the photo! icon_redface.gif I was thinking as long as I gave her credit...guess I still have to work on web protocol.

I'm sure it would be just fine if you give her credit! I usually ask the "original" designer or I won't post it. That web protocol thing is a PITA, isn't it?! Kidding... icon_wink.gif

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 9:26pm
post #10 of 16

Irstone,
could you please let us know how it is done after you find out? thumbs_up.gif

lrstone98 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:43am
post #11 of 16

No problem, will do.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 12:58am
post #12 of 16

I'm curious as well

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:17am
post #13 of 16

I could be wrong - but perhaps the top was iced all in blue and the white is a panel like an FBCT - just with no design - laid on top and then bordered with the dots. ??

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:35am
post #14 of 16

I bet you could just do the whole top of the cake as a FBCT. I've done that before but not with a frame. I did it with the camoflauge cake in my photos and with the tractor cake. What I did was made the FBCT and then used the upside-down method of icing the cake. I don't see why you couldn't to that for this type of border.

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:26pm
post #15 of 16

Hello all!!

What I did, was measure the width of the border that I wanted. Used a straight edge and mark indentations (short ruler). Used a tip 4 or 5 and pipe that edge, and the outside edge. Piped icing between those borders and them smooth with an offset pointed spatula (I like the pointed end, it helps w/ the corner edges). Hope that helps!! You guys can pm me anytime! thumbs_up.gif

lrstone98 Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 1:33pm
post #16 of 16

Thank you so much for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%