Making My Own Wedding Cake, Suggest A Flavor Please!!

Decorating By eieio1234 Updated 28 Sep 2007 , 1:25am by eieio1234

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 34

OK, my husband and I are getting remarried next month (10th year anniversary) and I've hired myself to make the cake! icon_smile.gif I would like something that's just yummo, ya know?? Something beyond my 'normal' flavors I use. There will be a lot of friends and family there that have either only tasted my regulars (ex: white, chocolate, lemon) or have never had some of my cake... I've got the idea in my head for the design, but now need to nail down flavorings... oh, and it will be buttercream, not fondant, fyi.
Thanks!

33 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 34

Congratulations to you both!!

Pina colada cake w/ pineapple coconut filling, vanilla/pineapple bc

White chocolate raspberry cake w/ raspberry filling and white chocolate raspberry cream cheese or bc

Amaretto cake w/ cherry almond bc

You could also try the wedding bouquet flavoring. Let us know what you decide on and post pictures!

eieio1234 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 34

Ohh, those are good flavors. I was thinking something white chocolate and raspberry actually, that's funny you mentioned that. Is there a recipe for that cake on here?? Also, the bc flavoring... how would I make it white chocolate/raspberry? I have rasp. extract, but how do I get the white chocolate flavor in there??

I love pina colada, do you do a pineapple/coconut filling with just the pineapple H&H filling and then adding some coconut??

I read a thread about the wedding bouquet flavoring and forgot all about that, thanks for the reminder! I'm gonna go look for that!

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 34

If you are leaning towards a raspberry/white chocolate, may I suggest white chocolate ganache and raspberry filling?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2503-Raspberry-Filling.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2116-Chocolate-Ganache-1.html

Another member (sorry, I cannot remember who) mentioned this combo on another thread a while back. I used it with the WASC, and it is sooo good! I spread a layer of the raspberry than drizzle the ganache over that, completely covering the raspberry. It is just heavenly!

Another favorite combo is banana cake, soaked in a rum simple syrup with either a vanilla pastry cream or whipped chocolate ganache filling.

eieio1234 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanibird

If you are leaning towards a raspberry/white chocolate, may I suggest white chocolate ganache and raspberry filling?

Another member (sorry, I cannot remember who) mentioned this combo on another thread a while back. I used it with the WASC, and it is sooo good! I spread a layer of the raspberry than drizzle the ganache over that, completely covering the raspberry. It is just heavenly!

Another favorite combo is banana cake, soaked in a rum simple syrup with either a vanilla pastry cream or whipped chocolate ganache filling.

I have to admit I've never done a ganache when it comes to a decorated cake. I saw the recipe said it pipes beautifully, is that true? Can you just pipe it like you would bc?? And that's interesting that you use double the white chocolate when you're doing this recipe.

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 34

i have a really good banana nut recipe w/ cream cheesecake filling.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 34

Hi Denae,
Did you know it's illegal to tell the CC world that you have a really good recipe and then not share it with us. icon_lol.gif
Give it up girl!
Jibbies

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 34

I think they make a white chocolate raspberry coffee creamer that you could use to flavor the buttercream.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 10:11pm
post #9 of 34

All of Yummy's suggestions sound wonderful and no way could you go wrong with the direction you are heading.........what about Italian Cream cake? They are sooooooo good and make a beautiful wedding cake!

Congrats on your 10th coming up!!

yummy Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 34

If you can't find the white chocolate raspberry coffee creamer, use your raspberry flavoring and melt some white chocolate and add to the batter. Yes, I use the pineapple in the sleeve and fold shredded coconut in it or layer it on top of the pineapple.

CharMarBoBar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharMarBoBar Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:45pm
post #11 of 34

I filled a cake with raspberry mousse that tasted heavenly and had such a great color and texture! icon_biggrin.gif

eieio1234 Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denae

i have a really good banana nut recipe w/ cream cheesecake filling.

That sounds so yummy, I'd love to have the recipe if you're up for posting it!! I wouldn't use it for this one because my nephew is allergic to nuts and he'll be there but I'd love to use it for something else!!

eieio1234 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:00am
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

I think they make a white chocolate raspberry coffee creamer that you could use to flavor the buttercream.

I wondered that right after I asked that before. I thought I had seen that at the store. I recently used a new one, I forget which (and am too lazy to walk to the fridge!) and it was SOOOO sweet. The bc tasted good, and smelled great, but it sure upped the sweetness of it! Does anyone account for that somehow? Like add salt maybe to cut the sweetness? Or leave as is?

Teekakes Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:03am
post #14 of 34

To cut the sweetness in buttercream I dissolve a pinch of popcorn salt into the liquid first. It really helps a lot.
I know what you mean about some of the cm flavors being soooo sweet! Whew!

eieio1234 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:06am
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

All of Yummy's suggestions sound wonderful and no way could you go wrong with the direction you are heading.........what about Italian Cream cake? They are sooooooo good and make a beautiful wedding cake!

Thank you!

Italian cream cake! Oh yummmm!! My very Italian father will be there and would love that! So would my Italian-wannabe husband!! I just scanned recipes and saw there are a few on here, is there one you suggest I try first??

eieio1234 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:09am
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

If you can't find the white chocolate raspberry coffee creamer, use your raspberry flavoring and melt some white chocolate and add to the batter. Yes, I use the pineapple in the sleeve and fold shredded coconut in it or layer it on top of the pineapple.

Do I just add the w.c. in or substitute it for something else that I'm taking out??

I so love pineapple and coconut. I think I just may have to make different flavored layers, even though I told myself over and over to keep this easy cause I have enough to do without doing multiple flavors!

eieio1234 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:12am
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharMarBoBar

I filled a cake with raspberry mousse that tasted heavenly and had such a great color and texture! icon_biggrin.gif

I've never tried that flavor before, I love the chocolate one but try not to use it too often because i end up wanting to eat it all with a spoon!

This thread has given me so many great ideas, thank you all!

eieio1234 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:19am
post #18 of 34
Quote:

To cut the sweetness in buttercream I dissolve a pinch of popcorn salt into the liquid first. It really helps a lot.

Popcorn salt is one of those "duh, I wish I had thought of that" inventions!! Everytime my husband sees it in the cabinet he goes "you PAID for this??" hahaha! It was cheap, plus when I used to grind it myself it was never uniform, or I'd end up w/dust. I'd rather spend a dollar on it, it lasts forever!

JanetPlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetPlanet Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:32am
post #19 of 34

The problem with really good multiple flavors is that everybody wants to try some of each, and suddenly you don't have enough cake! I'd stick with just one and wow 'em with that.

*jp runs off to read those cream cake recipes too!*

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:34am
post #20 of 34

Remarrying sound so romantic. We're 10 years in Janaury. Please post your cake picture so that I can make it in a few months for hubby and I?

The raspberry mouse filled cake sounds heavenly!

CharMarBoBar Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 12:50am
post #21 of 34

This is the recipe I used...it's not the one on CC....

Ingredients
1 (10 or 12 ounce) bag frozen raspberries in syrup, thawed
1/3 cup reserved syrup
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup whipping cream

Directions
Drain raspberries, reserving 1/3 cup of the syrup. Mix sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Stir in syrup. Heat sugar mixture over low heat, constantly stirring, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil for 1 minute, continuing to stir. Stir raspberries into sugar mixture and allow to cool to room temperature. Whip cream until stiff. Fold whipped cream into the raspberry mixture. Allow to set.

It was soooo good!

eieio1234 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:39am
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetPlanet

The problem with really good multiple flavors is that everybody wants to try some of each, and suddenly you don't have enough cake! I'd stick with just one and wow 'em with that.

*jp runs off to read those cream cake recipes too!*

Boy you guys are on fire tonight, another very good point. Well I do have a family cake order due this weekend so I'll have to try one of these suggestions since I can play with family ones! (And taste them too!)

eieio1234 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:44am
post #23 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

Remarrying sound so romantic. We're 10 years in Janaury.

When we got married, we said we'd get remarried every 5 years, but 5 went so fast we felt dumb doing it then! Now at 10, 2 kids later we figured we'd do it. It still went fast, but it's a little more substantial than 5! I'd suggest you start stashing some cake money now for it because it's just getting to be so expensive! I wish we started saving earlier! Everything is costing more than we expected... including my dress. But I wanted a hot momma dress! LOL! My last one was very formal and romantic and looong and this time I wanted something sassy and sexy! So I gotta lose a few more pounds so it fits a little better.... cake tasting has been at a minumum! TORTURE! icon_cry.gif Sorry, I got off on a ramble there!!

eieio1234 Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:46am
post #24 of 34
Quote:

How many cakes will this fill??

Teekakes Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 2:01am
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio1234

Quote:

Thank you!

Italian cream cake! Oh yummmm!! My very Italian father will be there and would love that! So would my Italian-wannabe husband!! I just scanned recipes and saw there are a few on here, is there one you suggest I try first??

Yes and it is simply divine! Here ya go;

Italian Cream Cake
Maximum recipe for a Kitchenaid 5 qt. bowl.
You will need two large mixing bowls
Put in mixing bowl #1

4 Cups Granulated sugar
1 1/4 Cups Wesson or Crisco Oil
1/1/4 Cups Butter
1 Cup Egg Yolks
2 Tablespoons Butavan

Beat until light and fluffy

Place all the egg whites in a grease free mixing bowl #2 and with the beater or wire whip, beat at the highest speed until stiff peaks are formed

Measure
3 Cups Cake flour plus, I use Swans Down
3 Cups Regular flour

2 1/2 Cups Buttermilk and 2 1/2 t. soda in a 4 cup container and stir.
Add the flour alternately with the buttermilk and soda mixture.

Measure 2 cups coconut (a 14 oz. pkg.) and 2 cups pecans into a large bowl. Mix or stir to break up the coconut chunks. Add the cake mixture and stir.

Fold in the stiff beaten egg whites until incorporated and fill pans 2/3 full immediately and place in a 300 degree oven for 55 minutes for small cakes or up to 1 1/2 hours for large cakes. This cake doesn't rise as much as other cake batters.

Teekakes Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 2:04am
post #26 of 34
Quote:

Quote:

Popcorn salt is one of those "duh, I wish I had thought of that" inventions!! Everytime my husband sees it in the cabinet he goes "you PAID for this??" hahaha! It was cheap, plus when I used to grind it myself it was never uniform, or I'd end up w/dust. I'd rather spend a dollar on it, it lasts forever!

icon_lol.gif That is funny! Yep, the stuff is great for buttercream and it really does last forever!

CharMarBoBar Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 11:51am
post #27 of 34
Quote:

Quote:

How many cakes will this fill??

It yielded about 4 cups or so. So, it depends on how much you intend to use in each layer....I slathered it in quite thick!

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 4:56pm
post #28 of 34
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanibird

I have to admit I've never done a ganache when it comes to a decorated cake. I saw the recipe said it pipes beautifully, is that true? Can you just pipe it like you would bc?? And that's interesting that you use double the white chocolate when you're doing this recipe.

To be honest, I've yet to pipe with ganache. Just used the white as a filling and the WBH recipe as a coating for the banana cake. But looking at the texture of the ganache once it cools and sets up, I can see how it would pipe nicely, like a stiff bc. If you give it a try you'll have to let me know how it turns out! icon_biggrin.gif

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 5:08pm
post #29 of 34

Many congrats on your wedding. That is just so sweet and romantic to get re-married. This is what I'd have if it were my own wedding cake. (BTW I'm just a simple kind of girl). Nothing very dramatic but yummy!
Bottom layer chocolate fudge with chocolate mousse fillling.
Next layer French Vanilla with raspberry mousse
Next layer Lemon with lemon mousse - (this is soooooooo good)
Top layer carrot with cream cheese filling.
All dressed up with creamy smooth buttercream.
Oh that sounds divine!!!
Have fun.
icon_razz.gif

yummy Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 10:02pm
post #30 of 34

eieio1234, you just add the 6oz. of melted wc I used 3/4 cups (same as 6oz.) Nestle white morsels. Everyone raved about it even the kids. I also used 1/2 tsp of pure vanilla and 1/2 tsp pure almond in the batter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%