Allergy Statement

Business By dan4 Updated 28 Sep 2007 , 8:47pm by cakesbycathy

dan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dan4 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 10:11pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone have an allergy statement they use when dealing with customers with food allergies? I have a cake coming up for someone that is allergic to sulfites. These ingredients will not be in the cake, but I'm looking for a way to say that although i did not use any of the specific ingredients, I don't want to be held responsible for any allergic reactions! Or is doing a cake for someone with allergies just asking for trouble? My daughter has a nut allergy, so I'm obviously always very careful as to what she eats... I usually don't serve her anything that doesn't have an ingredient list included with it. Maybe I should include an ingredient list??

Anyway, let me know your thoughts...

Thanks!!

10 replies
justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 11
kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 11

According to my inspector (NC Department of Agriculture), you should label the item stating that "while this product does not contain xx, it was baked in a kitchen where xx is used in food processing."

I hope this helps,
Kathi

elvis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvis Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 11

A lot of people make it easy on themselves and simply say that they don't do "allergy cakes" for liability reasons.

I've had a mom or two that I"ve made exceptions for re: nut allergies, but I always tell them that my cakes don't contain nut products but that I couldn't guarantee 100% nut free cake b/c my kitchen isn't nut free.

Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 1:56am
post #5 of 11

Here where I live the Health Dept., told me as long as I have a sign in my shop saying that my products can come in contact with ingredients that could cause allergies....then it's up to the customer to take care of asking, etc. I think most parents know if their child has certain problems with foods and would ask in advance, etc. Legally...if you have it posted....it's up to the consumer to take the precautions. I do put an ingredient label on every cake box and under that I have the allergy notice too. I do have a customer who's little girl is allergic to eggs and I have adapted my cake recipe to be able to make her a little cake she can eat for her birthday.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 6:36am
post #6 of 11

Here in MN I'm also required to have an allergy warning sign clearly marked for anyone there to see... Basically, the jist of the statement reads "We want you to know: Your food may have come in contact with just about any possible allergen known to mankind." (but was required to include dairy, nuts, and wheat everything else was recommended bonus)..

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 7:12am
post #7 of 11

Wow, this is something that I never thought about...sounds like a great idea to me! Thanks ladies for yet another learning moment! thumbs_up.gif

mhicks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhicks Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 11

I would personally not guarantee anything being nut free or ___ free. Unless you absolutely know your kitchen and everything you use and touch is free of that ingredient or product!

Good luck to all..

shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 4:40pm
post #9 of 11

I am a wilton instructor and recently had 3 students who all had nut allergies in their families. 2 had children who were so allergic to nuts that if they smelled nuts they would become very sick. The 3rd was allergic to many different things as well, Nuts and sulfites were the worst ones.

She has been on a quest to find products that have been manufactured in allergy free invironments. She has found many products that she can use.

Wilton products are not on any of her usable lists.

Ck brand piping gel and meringue powder
Ck brand gumpaste and americolor food colors
Pettinice Rolled fondant

I hope this helps some.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 5:14am
post #10 of 11

"Warning: We sometimes bake with ingredients that are considered allergens and they may have come in contact with this product."

My health inspector told us this story about a girl who was allergic to nuts. Her boyfriend was eating nuts and then kissed her. She ended up dying from the nut allergy! You never know who's allergic or how severely so should be careful.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 28 Sep 2007 , 8:47pm
post #11 of 11

The statement in my contract is
"Our products may contain or come in contact with milk, nuts, wheat or other allergens. It is the responsibility of the client to inform his/her guests of this fact. Cakes by Cathy is not responsible for any allergic reactions."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%