Dog Safe Cake

Decorating By cakemom24 Updated 6 Oct 2007 , 4:44pm by Narie

cakemom24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom24 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 12:46am
post #1 of 12

I saw a recipe for a puppy/dog safe cake and now I can't find it! i need it for a doggy party next week. Can anyone help me???

11 replies
Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 1:33am
post #2 of 12

Hmmm, I didn't see the original doggy safe cake but would like to know about it. I'll watch the topic and see what comes up. I have three 4-legged children icon_smile.gif

dayana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dayana Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:50am
post #3 of 12

Guys please be careful with some of the recipes you find online four your four legged children. Some are not safe. All I can say is use natural ingredients, no sugar, salt or oils. Hope this helps some. You can take your favorite cake and customize it for them just substitute other ingredients for the harmful ones. Please never use sugar substitute or chocolate in anything that has to do with dogs-it will kill them.

I think this might be the recipe you are referring to.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-5793-0-Birthday-Cake-for-Pups.html

Dayana
www.bradsdog-heaven.com <under contruction>

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 11:34am
post #4 of 12

The Three Dog Bakery has some good cook books out there with tons of dog safe recipes. You can use carob in place of chocolate for making decorations...If you can't find any recipes let me know - I'll look some up later - I'm at work - cook books are at home. I made my dog a cake from a mix but frosted it with a peanut butter/cream cheese and honey icing. This is a picture of her "people" cake and "doggie" cake:

vonnie99 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 11:41am
post #5 of 12

ok - I guess it didn't post ....
LL

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 12

Oh those cakes are adorable! Definitely keeping this one in mind. Thanks Vonnie99!icon_smile.gif

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 12

Does the dog cake have to be cake or can it be something else? I saw on a Livejournal decorating community where someone use meatloaf as the 'cake' and mashed potaoes for the 'icing'. It looked like the real deal but was very dog friendly.

Shaynamills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaynamills Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayana

Guys please be careful with some of the recipes you find online four your four legged children. Some are not safe. All I can say is use natural ingredients, no sugar, salt or oils. >

I was just wondering about not using any oils... Three Dog Bakery uses Canola Vegetable Oil and shortening in almost all of their recipes and uses honey and molasses as well for sugar. Here's what their website says about using oil.

We wouldnt call it our secret weapon, but all-natural Canola Oil is an increasingly effective way to keep your hounds from gaining pounds. Originally created by our neighbors up North, Canola is a low-fat cooking oil that gives food a nice, clean taste. Food products manufactured with Canola Oil have higher levels of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, and significantly lower levels of saturated and trans fatty acids than more traditional products.

Canola Oil's unique ratio of almost 2 to 1 Omega-6 to Omega-3 makes it the richest vegetable oil source of essential fatty acids. (In comparison, corn oil is approximately 55 to 1 Omega-6 to Omega-3.) By giving Canola Oil to your canine you can help to increase circulation, reduce joint tenderness and maintain a healthy immune system. Plus, it's terrierific for maintaining healthy skin and coat. So the next time your lab is licking his chops, unleash the power of Canola!

So should I or not use oils?

vonnie99 Posted 25 Sep 2007 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 12

I would think that id the Three Dog Bakery uses it, that it has been researchedwith animal nutrition experts. Off the top of my head, I don't know if I have used oil in the recipes and mixes I have used in the past, but my dog's vet told me to pour a bit of olive oil into the dog's (dry) food in the past to help her, um, bowels.

dayana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dayana Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 12

Not everything vets tell you is true. Just like doctors. Here is a link that might help you understand more of what goes into dog food and what they call dog nutrition.

http://www.healthyhappydogs.com/APIarticle

I know it is disgusting but it is true. I have done tons of research on this subject.

Yes Canola oil is one of the best oils if you are going to use oil, but in moderation just like humans nothing in moderation will kill you.

Hope this helps
Dayana

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 4:20pm
post #11 of 12

I have made my dog a cake with a regular cake recipe, just using substitutes -- whole wheat or oat flour instead of all purpose, honey instead of sugar. I think that's the only substitutes I used. Just bake the cake like the directions say to. I use canola oil, and my mom makes treats all the time with canola oil in them. All of our dogs are healthy.

Beside the point-- Dayana, I read that article .. very gross. My mom and dad feed our dogs raw meat because it is healthier. A lot of people don't believe that but it really does make a difference. We got a dog (who just died last week) when he was four. He had very bad rhumetoid (spelling?) arthritis. My mom adopted him because she knew no one else would take very good care of him. He was in such bad shape, his feet were flat and swolen red. He also had greasy hair that a bath wouldn't get rid of. My mom read about feeding raw meat to dogs, did A LOT of research on it, and after a while finally started him on that diet. Within weeks we could see a dramatic difference. His feet weren't as red (they stayed flat until he died), his fur became un-greasy, and he just seemed a lot happier. We only expected him to live about a year or maybe 3 years at the most, but he lived with us for 6 and a half years. I really don't believe he would have lived that long if we just fed him regular dog food. We have 6 dogs now (mostly greyhounds) and other than shots, we go to the vet for a sick dog about once a year.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 6 Oct 2007 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 12

Does anyone have a doggie cake or cookie recipe that does NOT contain either potatoes or wheat? Lizzie, pictured on the left, has big time allergies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%