Hershey's "perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake ...

Baking By aerobatchk Updated 2 Aug 2013 , 3:07pm by luvoven

beenzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenzee Posted 12 Jan 2009 , 7:00pm
post #61 of 73

I like Rose levy Birnbaum's Perfect All American Choclate Butter Cake.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 23 Feb 2009 , 11:59pm
post #62 of 73

I baked the Hershey's cake 2 times. I thought it tasted great, nice and moist. But both times my cakes were GLUED to the sides of the pan! I greased, floured and parchmented the pan. It was stuck right where the batter was originally poured in before it rose. IT was even stuck to the parchment. I don't know what I did wrong, but i stopped trying because I didnt want to waste any more cake (or eat the mistakes for that matter...I am getting fat)

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 24 Feb 2009 , 12:06am
post #63 of 73

I havent ever had it stick. I use the bakers spray with flour and it comes out nice and clean every time. It is a great cake!

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 4:36am
post #64 of 73

WOW ceshell I just tried the cake you posted and it is probably the best chocolate cake I've ever had!! Thank you so much for sharing.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 5:41am
post #65 of 73

You're welcome! I love it when people love that cake! icon_biggrin.gif

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 11:29am
post #66 of 73

I wasn't sure if it was all purpose flour or cake flour so I used AP and it turned out so moist and rich. It was a nice chocolate taste and not too sweet.

ceshell Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 7:30pm
post #67 of 73

Yep, I use AP flour for the FBC recipe too thumbs_up.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 26 Feb 2009 , 8:30pm
post #68 of 73

marking this so I can find it later
OHH SOO YUMMY CHOCOLATE!

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #69 of 73

I guess I'm a little confused. I want a chocolate cake recipe that is moist and tender, and not dense. Closer to a box cake version only it needs to be from, "SCRATCH".

thanks,

cakeymom

mija10417 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mija10417 Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 9:57pm
post #70 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceshell

I like the Hershey's recipe as a 'basic' chocolate cake but I do agree that it's just "good" and not really anything to write home about. There is a fascinating thread on "best chocolate cake recipe ever" on egullet.com. Here's a link to the thread (you can't search their website unless you are a member; I found the link when I googled "best" and "chocolate cake recipe"):
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=44287&%3Bview=old

I have made the Scott Woolley Clarke recipe that many people on that site gave top votes to (using their suggested modifications), and I now won't make any other chocolate cake! However do note that it is really, really chocolatey, and I (a chocoholic) won't frost it with chocolate because it's almost "too much" (gads, did I actually say that??). I love it with vanilla IMBC or another complementary flavor. I'd love to hear from someone who bakes this and then puts a fudge or ganache on top, too find out if maybe I'm just paranoid. The recipe also converts to cupcakes simply by adjusting the cook time.

I've made this with ganache and frosted with chocolate bc. Everyone said it was the best chocolate cake ever! My husband gets so upset if I make any other chocolate cake than this one. Unfortunately, it's still too delicate for me. Definitely can't carve with this and anything bigger than an 8" pan seems to completely break on me icon_sad.gif

ceshell Posted 28 Apr 2009 , 11:54pm
post #71 of 73

LOL, after I wrote that post, I filled+frosted it with whipped bittersweet ganache. OMG, to DIE FOR!! I take back everything I said about "too chocolatey" icon_biggrin.gif

I don't have a problem with it being delicate though icon_confused.gif, but you aren't the first one who has. I have had no problems with breakage and I can do lite carving (e.g. a tapered cake) with no problem. Not sure why that is... detective.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 9:09am
post #72 of 73

AI have got to try the Scott W. Cake!! Sounds amazing!!

luvoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvoven Posted 2 Aug 2013 , 3:07pm
post #73 of 73

I agree!  I have to try it soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%