Needs Advice On Ganache...

Decorating By duhknees Updated 5 Oct 2007 , 8:48pm by duhknees

duhknees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duhknees Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 9

First off hello to everyone. This is an incredible site that I have enjoyed for a lil while now, I love looking at the gallery and reading the forums. This is my first post.

I have a co-worker that is requesting an all strawberry cake. He wants strawberry cake, strawberry filling and strawberry frosting. Well I have a few ideas in mind. And was hoping for some advice.

I was *thinking* of doing everything like he asks, except tweaking it just a bit. Id like to make regular white buttercream icing for the frosting, and top it off with some pink tinted white chocolate ganache dripping down the sides. Here is where I need help. First off I have never used ganache before so Im kinda scared to try it in fear that I will mess up the entire cake. Also I have looked at several recipes but if anyone knows a really good one, please let me know. Second. I think that technique looks beautiful on a round cake, but I wanted to just use a sheet pan.

Any and all advice is welcomed, and appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks!
Denise

8 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 9

Denise - first of all, welcome to CC! I'm sure you'll love it here!

Next, I would make sure with your customer that white chocolate is OK - some people REALLY don't like it, my DH included, while others just don't care for it much, like me.

For my own and my family's personal taste, dousing a perfectly good strawberry cake in white chocolate would render it nearly inedible. Your co-worker may not have strong feelings about it, but you never know. When you're changing flavors it's always a good idea to check.

If you get the go-ahead, the recipe I use for dark chocolate ganache is about 60/40 chocolate/heavy cream with a little corn syrup added for shine.

Temperature is key when pouring. You want to make sure the ganache is a little warmer than room temp so it will flow well, but too warm will melt your frosting. If you're using a shortening buttercream, slightly warmer isn't quite as critical.

It should look fine on a sheet pan, too. I would pour some on top of the cake towards one end, then slowly spread and "nudge" a bit over the sides, then do the other end. Finally, pour a bit more in the middle to even out the top.

Good luck, be sure to post pics when you're done!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:32am
post #3 of 9

Hi and Welcome, Denise. icon_smile.gif

Here's a list of CC acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Like Ali's DH, I don't enjoy white chocolate at all....

Here's a comprehensive ganache thread:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-334973-.html

(Includes master recipe, how to on glazing, white chocolate recipe and more.)

Here's the expanded flavors version of the WASC cake:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

You can use strawberry: extract, nectar, jello, yogurt or berries...

HTH

alisoncooks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisoncooks Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 9

I think it sounds yummy (i love white chocolate) but I do agree that the taste is not universal (my dh hates it). if your customer likes it, i think chocolate dipped strawberries around the bottom or on top would be a yummy addition icon_smile.gif I've never attempted ganache myself, so good luck!

duhknees Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 9

icon_eek.gif WOW!!! Thanks so much to you all for the helpful info! I glanced over the links briefly, and later I will read them over again to get a better understanding and then practice practice practice!!!!

Good call on him perhaps not liking the WC, I didn't even think of that. But in all fairness, this is more of my experimental cake, as I'm just trying to get my start and I've not yet had a "paid" order. birthday.gif

I don't mean for that to come out rude, but I think you know what I mean.

Oh and yes, the acronyms. Thanks!!!! There is alot that I do know but even more that I DIDNT know.......... so thank you so much.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me out. thumbs_up.gif I'll let you know how it goes. It's for October 2nd!

*Denise*

duhknees Posted 3 Oct 2007 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 9

What helpful links!

GREAT NEWS.. the cake turned out BEUTIFULLY.
He loved it and a lot of other people did as well. It was actually devoured in about an hour!!!!
I was glad I did it, because every aspect of the cake was a learning experience for me. The links provided were so helpful too BTW.

I will put the pic in my gallery, but just wanted to put it here as well so I could show you all what you helped me to do.

Thanks again!
thumbs_up.gif
LL

cheftaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheftaz Posted 4 Oct 2007 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 9

thumbs_up.gif Looks fanatastic!!! Love the red.....great job thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 3:55am
post #8 of 9

Oh man, that turned out fabulous!!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

(I want to lick the monitor.) tapedshut.gif

duhknees Posted 5 Oct 2007 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all so much!!!! And the moniter licking made me laugh - hahaha thanks I needed that!!!!!!!!!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%