Update On The New Crisco

Decorating By khs1030 Updated 29 Jul 2005 , 11:35am by khs1030

khs1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khs1030 Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 13

After our lenghthy buttercream discussion last week, which included a debate on the new Crisco and whether it's really ok, I emailed Walter Willett, chair of the nutrition dept. at Harvard, to get his opinion. (I used to interview him when I was senior ed. of Vegetarian Times magazine.) Here's what Dr. Willett had to say:

"thanks. I think this product is actually not too bad, especially if you use it only now and then, not as a daily fat. It is necessary to have at least a bit of saturated fat to get hardness; I would prefer coconut or palm oil but fully hydrogenating soybean oil does this without any trans. It creates the saturated fat stearic acid, which is the type in coconut fat. We hardly use any solid fat, but if you need it occasionally for baking this new product should be ok."

So I'm ready to start experimenting with something other than meringue buttercream!

12 replies
MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 12:51pm
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by khs1030

After our lenghthy buttercream discussion last week, which included a debate on the new Crisco and whether it's really ok, I emailed Walter Willett, chair of the nutrition dept. at Harvard, to get his opinion. (I used to interview him when I was senior ed. of Vegetarian Times magazine.) Here's what Dr. Willett had to say:

"thanks. I think this product is actually not too bad, especially if you use it only now and then, not as a daily fat. It is necessary to have at least a bit of saturated fat to get hardness; I would prefer coconut or palm oil but fully hydrogenating soybean oil does this without any trans. It creates the saturated fat stearic acid, which is the type in coconut fat. We hardly use any solid fat, but if you need it occasionally for baking this new product should be ok."

So I'm ready to start experimenting with something other than meringue buttercream!

I haven't seen this new product yet. What color is the wrapping of the can? Or do you have a pic to post?

It will be interesting to see how the consistency of buttercream is affected!!!! Please let us know your results....

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 13

I have seen this in SOME stores.. I dont know how readily available it is. If I remember correctly it only comes in the 1 lb. size and has a green label. I think one of the stores that carries it is WalMart.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 13

Hi KHS....funny you bring it up again. I bought some and used it over the weekend. It seemed to work just fine and I feel a little better knowing there isn't any transfat. I know we're not dealing with a health food here but I like to be as natural as I possibly can, ingredients-wise.

It looks just like the regular Crisco but the packaging is green instead of blue. It comes in the tub and the premeasured sticks.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 13

Here is a link to their webiste and the new Crisco....

http://www.crisco.com/about/0_grams.asp

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 13

I stopped using Crisco the other day. I did not like the greasy feeling I would get from it. I did some research and found over a few weeks of research that high ration shortening is way better then Crisco. I made frosting last night using this and I could tell the differance - much better and no greasy feeling.

I have bought the Sysco cake shortening - 50 lbs for $29. I am happy with with. I will find out this weekend on how everyone else feels but I can tell the differance.

Here is a link on a question about hi ration shortening:

http://food.oregonstate.edu/faq/fat/fat18.html

If you are interested in the Sysco Cake shortening here is their link so you can find a Cash and Carry Store near you.

For what I pay in Crisco, I save a lot of money. Their is a lot of high ration shortening ranges from $21 to $89 for 50 lbs.

http://www.sysco.com/map/map.asp

sheilaattaway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilaattaway Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 13

I didnt know your could buy it in such big quantities! I will have to try that. I go through a lott of that

Ironbaker Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks for that bit of info Leana. I would love to try that. Did you get the same results as far as texture and smoothing?

justsweet Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 13

The recipe I used was:

3 cups of shortening
2lbs of powdered sugar - I sifted my sugar.
1/4 of water - little less for more stiff frosting
2 Tbl of vanilla or 1 tbl of vanilla and 1 tbl of almond

Mix together.

This was given to me Lesia, she has beautiful cakes and was very helpful.

I will be icing my cake on Saturday. I allways make my frosting a few days ahead of time in case I need to color. I like to let the color set for a day just in case it gets too dark or not dary enough for me.

It was smooth and tasted Fabulous. I can get let you know on Sunday or Monday after party How it tasted on the cake. But by finger taste is was fabulous and smooth from the bowl.

MariaLovesCakes Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leana

If you are interested in the Sysco Cake shortening here is their link so you can find a Cash and Carry Store near you.

For what I pay in Crisco, I save a lot of money. Their is a lot of high ration shortening ranges from $21 to $89 for 50 lbs.

http://www.sysco.com/map/map.asp

We used to have some Cash and Carries over were we live, but they have all closed... Any other chain that you know of....? icon_sad.gif

Ironbaker Posted 28 Jul 2005 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 13

I must be blind, I can't find the shortening on the site. I only see the oils.

Yes, I would like to know how it tastes on the cake. Meanwhile I will check stores for other high ratio shortenings. Thanks again.

Do the high ratio shortenings have transfats? I'll have to go read some...

justsweet Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 4:44am
post #12 of 13

Their are other hi ration shortening you can order I will post them tomorrow becuase they are at work I will post a new messge called hi ratio shortening for you guys to look

you can buy small quanties here to see if you like but the best value is 50lbs.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/misc/food.htm#shortenings

khs1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khs1030 Posted 29 Jul 2005 , 11:35am
post #13 of 13

I looked at the sugarcraft link, and it says the product has partially hydrogenated oil, which means it has trans fats; i think all the high-ratio shortenings do. i don't plan to use it for that reason, but if you're interested, i know Kitchen Krafts also sells it. One of my favorite cake books, The Whimsical Bakehouse, swears by it. I just can't do the trans!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%