How Do You Make A Collasal (?) Cookie???? Anyone?

Decorating By CAKESHERWAY Updated 18 Sep 2007 , 4:45pm by moochy720

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:02pm
post #1 of 6

I had a lady call me this morning and ask for a Collasal (Not sure how it's even spelled so if anyone knows that please let me know) Cookie for someone's b-day. She called a local bakery to see if they would decorate one for her and they said they come already decorated.

She asked me to do one with the Georgia Bulldogs mascot on it. No problem right? Except, how do you make this huge cookie?? What do I make it in, and what recipe do I use???

HELP!

5 replies
adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 6

Hmm. I think she may be talking about a cookie cake. Like these http://www.greatamericancookies.com/products-cookie_cakes_new.php.

I think you can use a standard cookie recipe, just adjust the baking time for the size of the cookie. Not that you would do this, but you can buy the dough already in the round pan at the grocery store in the pre-made cookie dough section.

I think you could probably bake it in a pizza pan.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 6

I'm glad you asked the question, I got an inquiry about one of those this weekend.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, you can bake any typical chocolate chip cookie dough, such as the Toll House recipe in a pan. Baking time will vary, depending on thickness of the dough and size of the pan, but in general you can bake until starting to set in the middle.

I find it is easiest to line the pan with foil, which I have sprayed with nonstick pan spray. When the pan comes out of the oven, cool for about 15 minutes on a rack, and then carefully remove the foil and cookie. Once the cookie has completely cooled, you can remove the foil. Another way to do it that works well is to use a disposable pizza pan, and just keep the cookie in it.

You can decorate with BC or royal.

DreamofAngels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamofAngels Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 6

I'm not sure how large "colossal" is, but I've made large 9" cookies before. I used the store bought cookie dough (I'm sure homemade would be even better, but I had no time.). I lined a regular baking pan with parchment paper and left some overhanging to use as a handle later. Then I packed the dough evenly in the bottom and baked at 325. When cooled I just lifted the giant cookie out of the pan and decorated. If you have a pizza pan it would be even easier. Good Luck.

moochy720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moochy720 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 6

What size cookie does the customer want? Wilton makes a giant cookie pan that's 10", I think. I've used it before with the pre-made sugar cookie dough you can buy at the grocery store. I usually end up baking it for around 30ish minutes at 350 degrees. I've found that I like using the store brand dough better than the Pillsbury brand because there's more in the package and it costs less as well. If I do use Pillsbury, I end up using 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 packages because 1 doesn't quite cover the pan but 2 is too much and the edges burn while the center stays uncooked. (and it takes a lot longer to bake) You could probably use a pizza pan just as easily. I would advise greasing whatever pan you use-I'm going to start doing that because I have a heck of a time getting it out of the pan when it's not greased. Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%