Making Poured Fondant Black

Decorating By Briarview Updated 6 Sep 2013 , 11:05pm by MBalaska

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 6:53am
post #1 of 7

I have had a request to make 180 Darolie cakes and the bride wants Black poured fondant drizzled over the white fondant on each cake. I have done pale blue and pale green (see my website) but I would think that black would come out grey. Has anyone tried this as I don't want to make up a batch just for it to get wasted. Has anyone any other ideas as to what I could use to drizzle to get the same look.
LL

6 replies
OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 10:12am
post #2 of 7

I'm only guessing - never actually tried with poured fondant - but I would say try using chocolate fondant with Americolor Super Black added. This works well for regular fondant.
Also, if you're using a recipe that starts with regular fondant, you can probably use the pre-coloured fondant then add a few drops of black after it is melted to "enrich" the colour.

Let us know how it turns out. Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 10:26am
post #3 of 7

Thanks Ozcookie but the recipe I have is made up of Confectioners sugar, water, corn syrup almond extract and heated no hotter than 100degreesF and then the coloured added so you can see the problem is that it probably go grey when I added the black.
The other thing I thought of would be to use chocolate ganache with black added and pour that over the mudcakes.

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 10:32am
post #4 of 7

That sounds like it might work thumbs_up.gif
Keep us posted! (and photos, too!)

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 10:34am
post #5 of 7

You can probably get it to black, but you would have to use a lot if the fondant is white, which might alter the taste.

I think you're on the right track using ganache and dying it black, that's actually what I was going to suggest, but you seem to have answered your own question. icon_smile.gif

I think the bride will probably be happy with it, as long as it's black. icon_smile.gif

Holly

aange75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aange75 Posted 4 Sep 2013 , 3:43pm
post #6 of 7

AHow did you go with this?? I am in the same boat and need to pour black over a white 2 tier with the drip effect down the sides. Have you figured out how to do this? If you use ganache I'm worried it would affect the fondant. Do I need to make sure the rtr icing is completely dried out before attempting this? I have dyed ganache black before and it took heaps of americolor dye to get it black. Is there a way of getting milk choc ganache black without the level of dye?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Sep 2013 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 7

May I share Gretchen Prices Poured Chocolate Fondant Icing recipe: She also has a vid tutorial on this page.

this is what I used to cover my Petit Fours in my Avatar (credit to Ddaigle's tutorial on PT4)

don't see why you couldn't add some black coloring, as it is pretty dark already.  Good Luck.

http://www.woodlandbakeryblog.com/poured-fondant-icing/

there are also some dark colored 'black' cocoa's out there that you could check out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%