I Am Looking For A Recipe For Cannoli Cake

Decorating By sunflowerfreak Updated 18 Aug 2008 , 4:47pm by karapags

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone have a recipe for cannoli cake? I guess maybe just the filling part of it where there's ricotta cheese and chocolate chips. Unless there is a ricotta cake that can stand up to being decorated. thanks.

sunflowerfreak

10 replies
aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowerfreak

Does anyone have a recipe for cannoli cake? I guess maybe just the filling part of it where there's ricotta cheese and chocolate chips. Unless there is a ricotta cake that can stand up to being decorated. thanks.

sunflowerfreak

This recipe comes from an Italian cookbook I own. It is the recipe for Sicilian cannoli cream, so I hope it helps you (at least for the filling). I can continue to look for a ricotta cake, but I don't know how successful I'll be. For now, this should get you going:

1 pound whole milk ricotta
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped semisweet chocolate
1/4 cup candied orange peel, finely minced
1/4 cup almonds, finely chopped

Method:

Mix the ricotta and sugar energetically together in a medium-size bowl with a wooden spoon to give the mixture a creamy consistency. (This step can be done quite well in a food processor.) Fold in the chocolate, orange peel, and almonds, making sure everything is well combined. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for about one hour.

There is a little note in the margin of this book which reads: "The filling for cannoli can also be prepared several hours or a day ahead. However, do not fill the cannoli more than one hour or so ahead of time or the shells will become soggy." I don't know if it will make a cake soggy; perhaps brushing a thin layer of apricot glaze on your tiers and allowing it to dry before filling and icing will help? It's just a suggestion, but run with it ... it's your cake!

Good Luck,

Odessa[/i]

babynewyear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babynewyear Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 11

Here is a recipe for a cannolli filling I use from Taste of Home.
Cannolli filling
2 Pk cream cheese softened(* ounces)
1 carton ricotta cheese (15 ounces)
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tesp almond extract
1 tesp vanilla extract
1 jar maraschino cherries (16 ounces)
1 cup mini chocolate chips
in large bowl ,beat cream cheese and ricotta. After mixed>Add p. sugar,vanilla and almond ex. Drain cherries well,saving 1tep cherrie juice. Chop cherries. Mix all the rest of the ingredients.(cherries ,chips and juice) refrigerate about an hour.
Hope this helps icon_smile.gif
Cindy

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 11

Oh wow they both sound delicious. Thanks so much. I should do a 'trial' cake and see how it turns out.

What is a nice yellow cake that I can make to go with it?

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 11

slounds wonderful....

aobodessa Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowerfreak

Oh wow they both sound delicious. Thanks so much. I should do a 'trial' cake and see how it turns out.

What is a nice yellow cake that I can make to go with it?

I'd probably go with a pound cake, perhaps with a butter flavor or a sour cream butter pound cake. You'll want something that can hold up, I would think.

Odessa

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 11

I'm so glad you posted this! Someone asked if I could do cannoli filling. Of course I said yes, but had no idea how to do it! Why do i do that? icon_smile.gif

SimpleAffair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimpleAffair Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 1:17am
post #8 of 11

You are apparently a scratch baker so you may not be interested but...there's a receipe in "The Cake Mix Doctor" (Anne Byrn) for a Cannoli Cake. Great cake!

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 11

I have this recipe with a cake mix, I just add some chocolate chips on top after.

Mix together:
1 box of loaf cake mix
3 eggs
1/4 c. oil
1 1/4 c. water
Pour this mixture into a 9 x 13 inch greased pan.

Then mix together:
3 c. Ricotta
3 eggs
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Beat until creamy. Pour Ricotta mixture gently over the top of cake mixture with large spoon. (Mixture goes to bottom.) Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour

aobodessa Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 1:47pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleAffair

You are apparently a scratch baker so you may not be interested but...there's a receipe in "The Cake Mix Doctor" (Anne Byrn) for a Cannoli Cake. Great cake!

How funny you would post this comment! I have been scratch baking all week long (after my day job, that is!) for a wedding and a baby shower! And I do have that book, but I just was not familiar enough with the contents to realize she had a cannoli cake in it!

I'm always amazed at how helpful we are to one another here at CC ... if only the world was as kind!

Odessa

karapags Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karapags Posted 18 Aug 2008 , 4:47pm
post #11 of 11

I also have to do a cannoli cream and have no idea how to make it. Will the recipe here.

Thanks so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%