What To Do With All Of This Cake?

Decorating By ljdills Updated 15 Sep 2007 , 11:05pm by oaklanraiderdude

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 7

I am new to all of this, sooooo, please help !!
I have people constantly asking me to see my album. Problem is I don't have one. I am trying to start one but it gets expensive to make cakes just to throw away. I live in a really small town, so there aren't many places to donate to and my parents are diabetic. Any ideas on how to get my album started and what to do with all of these cakes?

6 replies
have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 7

is there a nursing home? or a hospital? Healthcare people are always hungry.

You could also do dummy cakes, wrap the foam in plastic, decorate, photograph, then scrape off the icing and do it again.

Last thing that comes to mind, make mini cakes or cupcakes. You can still show your skill, but less cake to find a home for.

Ginnycakes3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ginnycakes3 Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 7

Cake dummies are a good idea.
You can also donate to senior centers and churches.

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 7

If I have a cake that I want to try, I usually send it to work with my husband. That usually generates orders too.

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 7

Another idea is to see if there are non profit organizations that might be able to use them in one of their events. I work for one that has a black tie gala every year with an auction and that would be a great item to have in it. Actually, we could have used a pretty decorated cake for any of the 3 events we have! You could probably even then write it off as an advertising expense or a donation to a non-profit, depending on the tax laws where you are.
As others have said, check with local nursing homes, homeless shelters, soup kitchens, churches (maybe a couple is getting married and don't have money for a cake??). Or how about thanking your local police station, fire station, or armed services base (one deptartment at a time of course!) to thank them for all they do?

tkdnvymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tkdnvymom Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 7

I too would send them to work with my husband. I was making one cake a week for cake class. They started requesting different flavors. Would ask my hubby to collect at least a dollar per person to help with the cost of supplies. I didn't mind making them and they didn't mind donating. I even got a couple of orders from it.

oaklanraiderdude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oaklanraiderdude Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 7

I live in a small rural town. Our local firestation has 3 diffrent shifts during the week so my wife and I have 9 willing guinea pigs (let me tell you they love cake). When we were both taking the Wilton classes they got a lot of cake. We were making 2 cakes per week and normally we only had cake maybe every other month. By the time we finished all 3 courses our family was caked out. What the fire fighters couldn't handle we gave to the homeless people who hang around the park. Not very nutritious but better than throwing it out. We also gave cakes to our local grape and citrus growers and we are never out of citrus or grapes during the season. Drop some off at the local school office or library. No one ever says no to free cake and it is good advertising!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%