Fondant Or Ganache Or Icing?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 16 Sep 2007 , 7:16pm by Briarview

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 12

I have a bride that probably wants this cake:

http://www.confetticakes.com/wd23b.html

She insists this is done in fondant. I think because of the sharpness of the corners that it is either some kind of spreadable ganache or icing. Can someone help me out? We kind of "argued" (not in a bad way) about it because I showed her how a fondant cake was rounded and her cake is very sharply squared.

She only had a small pic at her tasting but then sent me the above link stating that the picture is more clear and that it IS fondant. However I still do not think it is fondant!!!! I wanted to get some professional opinions before I insist that its not...again. haha.

If it IS fondant, can somone tell me how to get the corners like that?

11 replies
rcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcs Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 12

That doesn't look like fondant to me, either!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 12

Actually, is DOES look like fondant. The cracking that is occurring on the corners (in the detail picture) doesn't look like something bc or ganache does.

My guess is, she either uses tools to square off her fondant, or this is a dummy cake.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 12

I personally think that it is buttercream, because if you look at the corner on the bottom tier (of the detail close up picture) there are little holes on the corners, I have never gotten this with fondant, but do with bc quite often.

Howevef if she wants fondant there are tools out there to get it this square, I have seen post with links to pieces that are blue in color and you run it along the edges of the fondant to get that 90 degree corner.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 12

something to think about... why not put in a call to confetti cakes on monday when they are open and ask them what type of icing is on the cake?

That would definitely get you the answer.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 12:00am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I personally think that it is buttercream, because if you look at the corner on the bottom tier (of the detail close up picture) there are little holes on the corners, I have never gotten this with fondant, but do with bc quite often.

That's funny. What you see as little bc holes, I see as little fondant cracks. I can't wait to find out what it really is! icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 1:16am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Howevef if she wants fondant there are tools out there to get it this square, I have seen post with links to pieces that are blue in color and you run it along the edges of the fondant to get that 90 degree corner.

She definitely wants fondant...can you show me anything about those tools? Thanks!

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 5:56am
post #8 of 12

Kitagirl I have to do the exact one also without the apples for a bride in January. She loves the square corners also and I think that is what attracted her to it. I did email them about 2 weeks ago but have not had a reply. I too would love to know what it is. I have actually just purchased the square edgers from the UK that someone on here suggested but yet have to try them out. I bought the rounded for the top and the square for the corners. I also think it maybe a dummy and that is what I did suggest to the bride. If you look at her other cakes they are really sharp also.

Briarview Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 6:44am
post #9 of 12

http://www.apieceofcakethame.co.uk/view_products.aspx?cid=20

This is where I purchased mine but you may get them closer to home.

Also have a look at this topic I posted on the same cake
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-4922933-.html#4922933

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 4:02pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

She definitely wants fondant...can you show me anything about those tools? Thanks!

Into the oven carries them now too:

http://www.intotheoven.com/Fondant-Tools-Smoothers-&-Edgers/c118_119_128/index.html

Kitagrl Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbitfroggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Into the oven carries them now too:

http://www.intotheoven.com/Fondant-Tools-Smoothers-&-Edgers/c118_119_128/index.html

Thanks! It says you need practice.... is this hard to use?

Briarview Posted 16 Sep 2007 , 7:16pm
post #12 of 12

Katigrl
The one I bought also was a sharp corner one to make a square side as well as a rounded one and the one for the side and board together.
On Intotheoven site they do not show the square one so I went back to Apieceofcakethame and they must have sold out as it is not now listed. It was 10pounds in the UK. They are made by Valerie White and are black. Hope you can secure one. I have her email address if you want to pm me. Cheers Briarview

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%