Ethical Question About Craft Store (Kinda Long)

Decorating By mkerton Updated 15 Nov 2006 , 5:38am by SweetResults

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 5:20am
post #1 of 30

Ok I am going back in forth in my head, and I am not sure what action to do, if I should do any at all....but here is my story. I took all my Wilton classes at Hobby Lobby, during one of my classes I went to buy a tool and thought that it was cheaper than I had remembered seeing it before...but all of them had the same price sticker on it so I didnt think anything of it and bought it....now a couple of months later, I go into Hobby Lobby because I wanted to buy the alphabet fondant cutter set that I thought was 19.99 and I took the 40% off coupon that was online yesterday...anyway when I got there, they were all marked 5.99....so now I am thinking strange...you would think I would have already bought this if they were this cheap...so then I look at disposable decorating bags...and I got 50 yes 50 for 4.99 (again its been forever since I bought bags....so I think ok maybe this is right...and again I check all the boxes and they all say the same price).....so I come home and check out wilton.com and the alphabet set is on there for 14.99, and I think the bags were 10.99 or something like that......so I just dont get it.....why is someone pricing things so low???? I dont remember noticing Hobby Lobby being so much cheaper than Michaels or JoAnn's before.....

should I call the store? do I just figure that someone knows what they are doing (as all of the like items are marked the same price)....I mean I love a good deal...but at the same time....now that I looked up the prices...I feel sort of guilty! icon_redface.gif

29 replies
moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 5:23am
post #2 of 30

Did they scan it or type it in??

mkerton Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 5:32am
post #3 of 30

Hobby Lobby (at least mine) doesn't have scanners...so yes everything gets typed in. Its not that the clerk typed it in wrong though....this is what the stickers on the package say....I just think they are stickered wrong!

mkerton Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 5:39am
post #4 of 30

at the risk of abandoning my post.....I am falling asleep at this desk....I think I am going to hit the bed....but if anyone has any suggestions....I will check for them tomorrow!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 5:43am
post #5 of 30

Maybe the shopping Gods are smiling down on you. Sometimes there are things that are so much cheaper elsewhere! And I do not mean a couple of cents! Sorta like walmart and Target!

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 6:06am
post #6 of 30

Well, I am glad my hobby lobby is not the only one! Someone is not doing a very good job! At the hobbly lobby closest to me, the prices are ALWAYS wrong! Sometimes way low and sometimes just shocking! They marked that cheep dessert decorator for $29.99! Wilton sells it for $9.99!
Many items have been mismarked. They cakes n more stand was marked $14.99 so who was I to pass it up!

The other hobby lobbys that are not so close to me always have correct prices.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 6:11am
post #7 of 30

Well I would just buy it. Who knows maybe that is what they are selling for there. Besides, most stores would give it to for the price marked even if it was wrong. So you would still get it for the price you did. I say since you are not doing anything wrong just let it go.

Now if you were to buy something and you got to much change back or the clerk put in the wrong amount I would say something but when it's clearly marked and they are all the same price I wouldn't say anything. They deal with these items every day and I"m sure if something was off that much someone would have caught it.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 6:26am
post #8 of 30

The Hobby Lobby near me has things marked very wrong also. When I had the 50% off coupon a few weeks ago, I went in to get as much as I could at that price. I wanted another tool caddy but the empty Wilton tool caddy was marked $59.99. I knew this was wrong with no supplies in it. I did not get it. I also wanted to get some gum paste powder. The cans were marked 99 cents. This stuff is $4.99 per can at Michael's. I bought all they had and it cost me 50 cents per can with the half price coupon. I asked the clerk if this was correct and she told me yes. She said that it was marked 99 cents so that was the correct price.

KylesMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylesMom Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 6:52am
post #9 of 30

Okay, here's my long story. I wrote my check and attempted to pay a bill that I am billed for monthly. The person refused to take my payment saying that I have already pre-paid my bill for 18 months. I told them that I hadn't paid 18 months worth of payments because frankly, I don't have that money just laying around. (Just between us, if I had that money it would have been spent on cake stuff; not bills.) They still would not take my payment and told me I could call their office. I called the office and explained my situation to the person on the phone. They told me that the computer showed that I am paid for the next 18 months. I told them I knew for a fact that I did not pay that bill. I asked them if somebody had called to say that they paid their bill for 18 months and that they weren't getting credit for it. They had no reports of this happening. The person who did pay, paid with cash and hopefully kept their receipt because my account says I'm paid and the company will not take my payment. They made a note on my account that I claim to not have paid, but that's been the end of it so far. I am a big believer in karma. I would call the store and speak to the manager. I would let him/her know what you've experienced. At that point it's up to him/her to get things straight. However, that's just me. icon_smile.gif

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:27pm
post #10 of 30

I don't think there's anything to be concerned about here, really. It could simply be that they have an overstock in the back and they want to mark the Wilton products down to move them out. As for the items that are marked more than what Wilton sells them for directly...well, it's the same as any retail operation...there's always a mark-up on products (difference between what the store pays the vendor for the item and what the store charges the customer) so the store can make a profit when it sells, how much mark-up is completely up to them as well. Just because the prices for the same items are different on Wilton's site doesn't mean they're marking them wrong, necessarily. Hobby Lobby is a completely different company and they pay Wilton for the products they buy from them as a vendor to then resell in their stores....they can charge whatever they want to, really. I'd be glad that for once this stores prices are working in favor of the customer getting great deals, for the most part! icon_razz.gif

sprtd76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sprtd76 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:42pm
post #11 of 30

I say follow your instincts. If you feel you need to speak to a manager about it then do so. It's better for you to have a clear conscience than to fret over this. You'll just drive yourself crazy till you speak up. It's a hard spot to be in. You want a good deal, but you don't want to rip anyone off either. Whatever you decide, we all support you!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:45pm
post #12 of 30

maybe they are making room for new stock. i wouldnt be concerned....the owners of the store must know what they are doing. even so...if it is the stores mistake then its the stores mistake.. i have a clothing store and i added up something wrong for a customer to my disadvantage but i couldnt correct it and tell her once she had gone...it was my mistake...just have to live with it. but i dont think that the prices are wrong....just marked down.

jinxy543210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jinxy543210 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:05pm
post #13 of 30

As per Kylesmom's post

I had the same thing happen to me with Tmobile. My fiance and I tried to pay our bill one month and they said we only owed around half of what our bill said. They said a cash payment had already been made. We both knew neither of us had made the payment. We pressed the issue because we knew we owed the money. They said a cash payment had been made and there was no way to trace it.

So we paid what they said we owed, and went about our business. About 5 months later, a week after paying our bill, my fiance received a text message stating our service was about to be terminted. He called customer service, and they stated that we had a balance that was overdue by 162 days, and that they were going to terminate our service, and because the balance was so aged, it would likely be turned over to collections.

Of course I remained calm (yeah right) and asked how this could be since we paid the exact amount stated on our bill just a week beforehand.

Well, it turns out that my fiance's ex-wife had made a cash payment to our account instead of her own, and had only just caught it. She had a receipt, and it was taken from our account, and credited to hers... but when they did that, it showed that we had never made the payment from the time that she had made it.

The people at T-Mobile didn't care that it was not our error. They were really quite rude with me, and treated me like I was trying to skip out on my bill.

Long story short, I am no longer a T-Mobile customer. The amount was not a lot ($60) but it was the fact that they made the error, and we were given no notification until our account was cut off. We have never been late with a bill in over 10 years, and all of a sudden we get cut off and it wasn't even our fault. I got them paid up and out of my life.

I think it says a lot when a company is willing to lose a good 10-year customer who has never been late with a payment (I spend roughly $120/month on cell phone services) over $60 when it was their own error.

mom2csc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2csc Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:09pm
post #14 of 30

i would just ask to make sure. if it is priced wrong, they can fix it and if not you'll feel better to know that they aren't getting screwed out of LOTS of money because of an employee's mistake. With things being priced they way they are, an unhappy employee could mismark tons of stuff out of spite. HTH

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:20pm
post #15 of 30

I would say run to HL and buy everything that is marked down by at least 3 bucks lol. Even if you don't need it right now stock up! Then after you get home call in and speak with the manager about it and tell him or her that the prices are basically ripping THEM off and they are losing alot of money with those prices so below retail. If she says she knows they are low due to over stock or stock clearing then so be it buy it up icon_wink.gif But if she says something like OMG THANK YOU! then you know you've just hit the jackpot with your most recent purchases and it was a good thing you went back and stocked up on things you'll need in the near future icon_biggrin.gif I wish my store would mess up pricing lol they are always slightly over priced but I pay it because I have no choice they are the only store here that sells this stuff.

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:27pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtd76

I say follow your instincts. If you feel you need to speak to a manager about it then do so. It's better for you to have a clear conscience than to fret over this. You'll just drive yourself crazy till you speak up. It's a hard spot to be in. You want a good deal, but you don't want to rip anyone off either. Whatever you decide, we all support you!

I belive in Karma, being honest and ethical is not a bad thing.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:34pm
post #17 of 30

Maybe you could call and talk to the manager and tell them that you noticed that some of the stuff was priced unusually low and see if it was a mistake.
Its up to you whether you want to let him know that you bought the stuff or not...i doubt he's going to tell you to come in so he can charge you more. But i do think that they should be aware...we wouldn't hesistate to let them know if they marked their stuff too high.

cakegurl06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegurl06 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:43pm
post #18 of 30

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not your job to tell them their prices are too low. They're running a business and with that comes the responsibility of making sure you're selling things at a profit.

It would be nice of you to bring it to their attention, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. And I certainly wouldn't mention that you'd bought any of the stuff that seemed too cheap.

mkerton Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:53pm
post #19 of 30

thank you everyone for your responses....and its not that everything is lower priced...one particular item is at Michaels and Joanns for 9.99 and Hobby Lobby had them all marked 19.99..........its just seem rare that stores would have such varied prices.... I also didnt think of the stock issue...perhaps that does have something to do with it.

What I plan on doing, is talking to someone next time I am in the store.....that way I could show them some specifics....that to me is the best of both worlds....I got a great deal yesterday...and I could still ease my mind.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 4:59pm
post #20 of 30

sounds like you're trying to do their job for them! It's their job to keep track of what the actual retail cost is, what their competitors are charging, and what special deals or promotions they want to run. And if it's an employee's mistake....well then the employee needs to be trained better or they need to pay better attention...... I probably wouldn't have even noticed the price difference or would have just been excited.... I don't think I would have gone to the trouble of looking it up online...... I think you could say something at the checkout like "wow that's such a great price for this item" - if the employee asks what you mean you could explain further and then it's up to them to take that information to the management....... but as a customer your only responsibility is to go in, get what you want, and pay the price that comes up at the register. icon_smile.gif Good luck.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 8:44pm
post #21 of 30

I say if you are coming here and posting your question it is something that bothers you. If that is the case and if you would feel better after talking to the manager then that is what you should do.

As was said earlier, after you talk to them what happens is up to the store.

craftermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftermom Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 11:45pm
post #22 of 30

Yes, I would talk to the manager of the store -- mistakes happen often because each item has to be priced individually since there are no scanners -- lots of room for errors -- I'm sure the manager will appreciate your "concern".

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:02am
post #23 of 30

Here is something that you should be aware of; if the price is marked wrong by an employee and the store lost a profit, they will more than likely fire that employee.

Is clearing your conscience because you saved a few bucks worth causing a person to lose a job icon_sad.gif ?

Food for thought thumbs_up.gif

SouthernSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthernSugar Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:15am
post #24 of 30

I worked for a Hobb Lobby as a department manager for a long time...craziest most disorganized system I have ever seen. You are given pages and pages of computer printouts for the department you cover and that is your ordering/inventory/price sheet. Wilton is in the cards and party dept and as that was my department I can tell you it is very easy to make mistakes. The pages all start to run together, descriptions don't necessarily describe what you get, and since the corporate likes to shake things up by bringing in new products you have 100 things you were not expecting. Hobby Lobby expects you to get your stuff up within a day or two after the shipment comes in. When you are trying to individually price 1000 candles plus all the other items and make room for all the new things I can tell you mistakes WILL be made. I worked in bigtime corporate America for years and I had no idea what pressure was until I decided to take a part time job at Hobby Lobby after I had my kids...never again...loved the discount but hated the constant harping about things not getting done as fast as they wanted. I would not say a thing to the manager. We knew about the mistakes but figured after enough of them that corporate would finally figure out their system wasn't working and put in scanners or figure out a different way....still hasn't happened.

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:22am
post #25 of 30

Ummmm...hello....you weren't the one that marked the prices, the store did and it's their responsibility to get it right. Your responsibility is to pay what they say it costs if you want the item. It's not dishonest at all. It's also not your responsibilty to shop around to make sure their prices jive with other stores' prices....it's theirs.

You're off the hook!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I got a LARGE Wilton Leveler from Hobby Lobby for $2.49. They were marked $4.99 and I used my 50% off coupon. At Michael's they are $21.99. I was excited! I did also see that the EMPTY Wilton Case was $59.99....and I wanted one, but I passed.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

san2961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
san2961 Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 1:24am
post #26 of 30

You can do the right thing or you can do nothing. Doing nothing is bothering you ( You were obviously brought up to do the right thing). I think you should mention it to the manager. If they don't correct the errors then you should buy with a clear concience.

mkerton Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 4:22am
post #27 of 30

I just dont understand how a store as big as Hobby Lobby can continue on with such a system these days....I mean I know mistakes are made with scanners....but the potential to lose money in just this one department...is nuts....I would really hate to see someone get fired though if I commented (especially so close to the holidays)...especially when it sounds like its easy to make a mistake.

Oh the delimas of life....I have a mother who found a $10 bill in a parking lot, so she stuck it in the closest car window to the bill.......and then I have a Dad who always says....Melanie....if a company cannot figure out their own mistakes...its not your job to fix them!

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:22am
post #28 of 30

I can't believe they use such an out-dated system either!

Often times places will clearance things out just when the same thing is coming in with new packaging.

Or they could have just ordered too much and need to get rid of it?

But I would buy everything you can find marked that way! If they're all marked the same, well........ I wouldn't feel guilty.
They need to keep track of their stuff!

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:32am
post #29 of 30

The managers really would have to be blind, stupid or indifferent not to know what's going on - especially after what taimimorris said.

If it bothers your conscience, I would tell the manager that they have some discrepancies from the Wilton MSRP and leave it at that. It's their job to figure out what and where the problem is. Most likely they're already at least peripherally aware and nothing will come of it but your conscience will be eased.

At my Hobby Lobby, several of the same item will be marked different prices - say $9.99, $10.99 & $11.99 for the same character pan.

On the other hand, I once got a car booster seat for my daughter from Target on clearance for $0.74 just because somebody returned it (unopened) from another store and that store didn't stock this particular model. You just never know about pricing.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 5:38am
post #30 of 30

We own a manufacturer that sells to Hobby Lobby - I know their margins - they are not losing anything.

What yoy buy directly from Wilton costs more because it costs them more to process one small order from you. They sell items much cheaper to major retailers because it is cheaper to produce in large qtys and ship large qtys direct. Plus craft store buyers in general try to rake you over the coals in price, then charge you ad fees, stocking fees, take additional discounts when they pay just because they pay on time (they take that disc even if they don't) then they charge you back for everything imaginable. Then they discount everything to ridiculous prices and try to charge the vendor back for that as well.

Run, don't walk to your Hobby Lobby and buy up everything you can.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%