Help! My Cake Broke And I Have To Put Fondant On It!

Decorating By CeeTee Updated 12 Sep 2007 , 2:37pm by WildWires

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 3

Tomorrow night is my present cake lesson for course III. I don't have an oven at my apartment so my friend who is taking the class with me made my cake for me last night and gave it to me to ice and prep.

Well, as I was setting the top layer onto the cake it split right in half! I was able to repair the cake and it's sealed in good with a buttercream crumb coat, but now after sitting overnight I see that the 'seal' down the middle is larger and it's leaning slightly. Im worried the second I lay the fondant over it its gonna come apart again from the weight.

I was planning to give the cake to a co-worker who has a birthday next week, but now I'm not sure...and I have no chance to make another one before class. Will I be ok or am I gonna have to use a dummy?

I feel awful...it's a Lovelace Chocolate Chiffon that she made from scratch and I totally borked it icon_cry.gif

2 replies
Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 3

Finish frosting it and put your fondant on it, it'll be fine.

WildWires Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WildWires Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 3

If your crumb coat is good and crusted, try carving the cake, straighten it out, the crumb coat it again, maybe a little heavier than normal... I think you will make it, especially after you cover it with fondant. I use a little different recipe of buttercream and it crusts and stiffens pretty good. When making your buttercream, if you use meringue powder add a tbsp or two of clear Karo. It seems to boost the crusting and glueing power of buttercream. I think if you carve it back into shape then give it a good lick of BC, you will make it. Good luck!!! icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%