Heating Core??!!!

Decorating By BellaSweet Updated 9 Nov 2006 , 6:39pm by GeminiRJ

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 8

So I Ive only been baking with 10 in. baking pans or smaller. And I just got a 12 in round yesterday. And I read today that I should use a heating core. Is really necessary? Will it ruin my cake if I don't use it? Please help someone???

7 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 8

Good Morning,

A heating core is used to distribute the heat more evenly, helping the center cook at the same rate as the outside. It is not absolutely necessary. (Use a flower nail, well greased, if you have one.) The cake will take longer to bake, is all.

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 8

I would use it (you can use your flower nail), because the middle might be runny when the rest of the cake is pretty much done. If you want to use your flower nail, grease it really well and just stick it in the middle of the pan, then pour in your batter!

cakedreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedreams Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 8

I always use the heat core in anything larger than 10 ", seems to work great for me. If you don't have one you can use a flower nail (Be sure to appropriately grease both) If you don't use one of the two, I would suggest maybe baking the cake a 325 for a little longer, just check for doneness with a toothpick.
Hope this helps

Vicky- cakedreams

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 8

the flower nail trick works really well - i would use 2 in a 12"- and you dont have to plug the hole -so it is a litle easier!

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 8

so is there a hole left in the centerof the cake. if so how do you work with that?

aprilmanning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilmanning Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 4:48pm
post #7 of 8

I would think that when you use the flower nail that the hole in your cake would be so small that it wouldn't make any difference. The heating core does leave behind a pretty big hole but it has a place in the middle of it to pour batter so you end up having something to fill in the hole. does that make sense? HTH

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 8

The flower nail works great. I'm so glad I read that hint on this site! I always bake at 325 or lower, and have never had a problem with the edges being done before the center.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%