Teddy Bear Cake Pan Questions

Decorating By mckennasmom Updated 9 Nov 2006 , 7:59pm by tinabee

mckennasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckennasmom Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 4:27am
post #1 of 6

Sorry if this sounds completely naive, but I am using the teddy bear pan for the first time, and I have some questions. Do I need a sturdy cake for the bear or can it be a softer cake (like lemon)? The bear (which is actually going to be turned into an elephant....don't ask me how, that's just what was requested!) is going to be sitting on another round cake...does it need to be sturdy as well or will it hold up on say a regular old chocolate cake?

Thanks so much!!! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 9:01am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennasmom

Sorry if this sounds completely naive, but I am using the teddy bear pan for the first time, and I have some questions. Do I need a sturdy cake for the bear or can it be a softer cake (like lemon)? The bear (which is actually going to be turned into an elephant....don't ask me how, that's just what was requested!) is going to be sitting on another round cake...does it need to be sturdy as well or will it hold up on say a regular old chocolate cake?

Thanks so much!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Lemon and chocolate cakes vary greatly. I have some that are really soft and some that are really sturdy and good for carving. For the bear i would recommend using a firmer type cake, you can get direction on how to turn the bear into an elephant from the wilton site

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/add_pans/elephant.cfm?section=cake&subsection=shapedpans&tertiary=adduseshome

If you put the elephant on top of any cake, you're going to need to give it support with dowels and a board.
Enjoy, it sounds like a cute cake
Nati

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 9:04am
post #3 of 6

I've only used the mini bear, but even with that one I put dowels (straws for the little guy) in to support the bear on top. I also use a separate cake board (covered with foil or saran) under the bear itself. That way you don't have to worry too much about the bottom cake layer. HTH Janice

mckennasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckennasmom Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much for the tips!!!

Any suggestions for a sturdier lemon cake? That's what she wants the elephant to be... icon_rolleyes.gif

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennasmom

Thanks so much for the tips!!!

Any suggestions for a sturdier lemon cake? That's what she wants the elephant to be... icon_rolleyes.gif

A pound cake with lemon would be pretty sturdy : )
Have a look at the recipes section of the website, and search for pound cakes. Im not sure if you use cake mixes or from scratch. But you'll find both in the recipes section.
cheers
Nati

tinabee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinabee Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 6

When I made my bear cake I used a box of pound cake and a box of a regular cake mix. Maybe you could use a lemon cake mix with the pound cake? The cake mix with the pound cake mix worked great. Good luck! Sounds like a very cute cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%